VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So i have been going through tons of components for my next build and i found a motherboard that has 6 - SATA 6 Gb/s connectors and 2 - 3 Gb/s connectors.

What is the point of having the 2 - 3 Gb/s connections with 6 - 6 Gb/s connections on the same Mobo ?

I thought you could just plug 3 Gb/s HDD's into a 6 Gb/s connections/plugs and they would work, but just at the 3 Gb/s transfer rate ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    3gb for older hdd and optical drives and 6gb for the newer gb/s hdd,3gb hdd will work on 6gb at 3gb but you won't see any really speed difference between the two unless you got a fast ssd.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's kind of my point.

If you can plug a 3Gb/s sata HDD into a 6Gb/s sata plug on a motherboard, what is the point of having both 6 Gb/s & 3 Gb/s plugs on the same mobo.

I know the 3 Gb/s hdd wont run any faster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The older 3 GB/s chips are cheaper. Typically they're built into the VLSI chipset whereas the 6 GB/s ports may be on a separate controller chip. Licensing is probably cheaper. And there's less possibility of compatibility problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can see that, but with both 6 Gb/s & 3 Gb/s plugs on the same mobo it can't be cheaper.

It just struck me as weird having both on the same mobo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I can see that, but with both 6 Gb/s & 3 Gb/s plugs on the same mobo it can't be cheaper.
    Why do you say that? In terms of connectors themselves the cost is probably the same. But if a chipset with four 6 Gb ports costs $35, and a chipset with two 3 Gb ports and two 6 Gb ports is $30, the latter motherboard will be cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not complaining at all, i like the extra sata ports they are adding these days. my last build motherboard has 11 - 6 sata3, 4 sata2 and 1 esata. all used, almost wish for 2 more, but when the time comes an add-in card will do.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Why do you say that? In terms of connectors themselves the cost is probably the same. But if a chipset with four 6 Gb ports costs $35, and a chipset with two 3 Gb ports and two 6 Gb ports is $30, the latter motherboard will be cheaper.
    Of the motherboards i have looked at, namely Gigabyte, they have 6 - 6 Gb/s connections, 1 has 6 - 6 Gb/s + 2 - 3 Gb/s connections.

Obviously to add those 2 extra 3 Gb/s connections is going to add to the cost.

And even though the 3 Gb/s connections are cheaper, you would think to add 2 different speed connections onto the same board, 6 + 2, would cost more than just making 8 of the same speed connections at 6 Gb/s.

As opposed to having 2 different chipsets/controllers/ what have you....
    On the same mobo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One thing i did notice is that the Mobo with the 6 + 2 sata jacks, also has an IDE connection.

But i doubt i will ever need one of those for any future builds as i am looking at higher boards for such things as faster and larger amounts of ram, sli, etc.
    And i don't know that i will need 16gb of ram, let alone 32gb of ram, but it will be nice to be able to if i want

I am even considering putting in an SSD for my boot drive but but that may be the last thing i install as i don't really need to have it to finish my new build.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The chipsets that are compatible with the various CPU sockets have controllers which place a limit on the number and type of SATA and eSATA connections that can be placed on the board. All the ones I looked at have a limit of 6 total. Some allowed all 6 to be 6GB/s SATA connections. Others only allowed a combination of 3GB/s and 6GB/s. I can't recall which ones still permit IDE.

If there are more than 6 SATA/eSATA, connections, the extras must come from additional controllers installed somewhere on the motherboard. IDE may be added the same way. I guess it comes down to what controller they choose to add the extra ports not supported by the main chipset.

IDE and 3GB/s controllers would be added just to support legacy drives. The controllers that can provide IDE may not even support 6GB/s SATA.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2011 at 11:16. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote