VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys,

Is there a software to convert Blu Ray Movie into DVD without losing any image quality and sound quality which keeps the Image and Sound quality same as it was in the Blu Ray Disc.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no - otherwise there would be no need for blu-ray.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Not only is the HD picture larger than DVD picture it also has a higher bit rate that is why the image is so much sharer than DVD. Dvd has a datrate transfer of around 10 Mbps compared to Blu-rays 54.Mbps. DVD has max video bit rate just under 10Mbps compared to Blu-rays 54 Mbps.

The only way to get HD movie on to DVD on with out video loss is to rip movie only from blu-ray then split the file across multiple dvds. Real pita if you ask me.

Or you can accept a slight quality loss and convert to Bd5 @ at a resolution of 1280x720 on a single layer DVD, or BD-9 at 1920x1080 on a dual layer disk. But you have to have a a software player that supports the BD-5 and BD-9. I'm not sure of any them do.

Or you can do as i do, rip movies to MKV and put on Hard drive and play with MPC-hc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What brand and model is your laptop or what are it's specifications? A MKV will give you great quality in a small file size, but it takes a lot of computing power to encode and to play back.

I use RipBot for BD>MKV conversion with my desktop PC, but my laptop can't play it back smoothly. And it takes about 5 hours for the conversion, and that's on a six core CPU @ 3.5Ghz.

You would also need a BD reader/burner to get the BD onto your hard drive, and it would need to be decrypted first. You would also need about 40GB or so space free on your hard drive to rip the BD to the hard drive.

Not to discourage you, but you may be better off just converting the BD to a regular DVD. Most times the quality is better than a commercial DVD. I use ConvertXToDVD for that, but there are some freeware programs that may work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok I had a question related to this, I have some ULTRA-HD Video's 1920 x 1080. I want to play it on my iPad-2

I had 2 questions

1. I believe it will not directly play on the iPad2, as it does not support ful HD (1080) Video playback right guys ? Bbut If I convert it to say .MP4 format will it then play on the iPad-2 ? or will it still not play there ?

2. Which Video conversion software do you guys suggest for doing this...Which will not take too much out of quality and still do the conversion job mighty well. I currently use HANDBRAKE ! How is it ? Is it ok for this kind of job ?

Thanks
    Last edited by augustya; 13th Aug 2011 at 07:08. Reason: edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most tablets including the Ipad boast low power consumption, meaning they have processors that are around 2 GHZ. Units that have dual core pocs are usually much lower proc in terms of Ghz. In which case i doubt you will be able to play 1080P or 720P video on them. You may be get a more definitive answer in the Mac forum we have here.

Handbrake is an excellent tool as is Megui.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 13th Aug 2011 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote