VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, What would be the best MKV to AVI=divx/xvid. I need to convert 2 files to be able to play them on my philips dvp 5990. Every mkv file i have come accross i have had no noproblems converting them from mkv to avi to play on my divx dvd player.

I have All to Avi, WinAvi, Xvid4psp, and another one that i cant seem to remember the name right now, at work right now. None of them are working on these 2 mkv files, so was wondering what other ones are out there that would work. Also these 2 mkv files have subtitles in them, and would be great to be able to convert to avi and have the subtitles hard coded onto them, audio is jap so realy need them lol.

Anyway, thanks for any and all help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean by "None of them are working on these 2 mkv files"? What is the problem? Do the MKV files player properly?

I would probably use VirtualDub. You'll need to download the DirectShow or MKV source plugin too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so the other one I use is called avidemux. None of them will convert it from mkv to avi. Both the files play fine on media player classic and on windows media player. The conversion will start on avidemux and about 10-20 sec in, it will say that an error occured and that it will now close. That happens with one of the files. The other one will get converted to about 70-75% and then says and error occured and shuts down.

All other mkv files have worked either on, avidemux, alltoavi, winavi, or Xvid4psp. These 2 mkv files don't work on neither of the 4 that I have in converting them from mkv to avi.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be that those two Matroska files were created with a 4.x version of MkvMerge and have header compression on by default. It may be worthwhile to use MkvExtract and re-merge with MkvMerge compression set to off to see if that solves the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is that i have ran into this before. I started out with WinAvi. Then when some files wouldn't work I looked for another one and came across, AlltoAvi. And then when I would come across a file that also wouldn't work on either one i would look for another one, and came across, Avidemux, and then finaly got to xvid4psp.

So you see what I mean. If the file won't convert on one I try another one. But now again, I came across these 2 files that won't work on either of the 4 that I have so now looking for another one that it would work on.

I will give it a shot with VirtualDub and MkvExtract. But if anyone else has any more suggestions that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Megui, Vidcoder, FFcoder, HDconverttoX., Ripbot. Meninx, etc, etc, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  7. One thing to keep in mind is that most of the free tools use the same free libraries (ffmpeg, ffdshow, x264, etc.). So it's not surprising that a file that crashes one crashes the others.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok cool thanks jagabo.

locotus, have you used any of the ones you mentioned? cus i need one that would convert the 2 mkv files into avi=divx/xvid files that can also attached the subs as harcoded subs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, at least the one that I've used, megui and vidcoder should manege the subs.
    But you must configure then properly.

Vidcoder is a gui for Handbrake and it dropped support
    for XviD or DivX some time ago.

In case that nothing works as you wish, perhaps
    doing a mkv to mkv could solve your problem, so nobody
    could guess what the is the problem of your files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've had good luck with Quick AVI Creator

It actually does a good job in one pass mode if you give it some bit rate to work with.
    Out of the box it only has xvid 2 pass mode. Add these lines to the xvid.presets file
    if you want a one pass mode. Note: leave a blank line after the [Exact File Size] settings.

[One Pass Mode]
    xvid_encraw.exe -i "$video_input" -bitrate $video_bitrate -progress 1000 -avi "$video_output"

Also note that since it encodes HD avi you have to size down your video if the .mkv is HD res.
    It won't do it automatically for you.
    Before it starts it pops up the .avs script. Just add
    BilinearResize(720,480)

edit: the resize works in most cases but if the preview looks like the aspect ratio is messed up you may want to load the .mkv into FitCD to do it right.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 9th Aug 2011 at 18:05.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote