VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to set up live video stream for an event, it will be held on Sept 10th, we are using a dedicated server and I know the server can handle this.

We need to be able to broadcast a live video feed from a camera directly to a website. I will be broadcasting live for 12+ hours! I want to be certain that I have full control over the function. (Not using someone else's server or setup)

The settings for the software (Windows Expression Encoder 4) request a publishing point location (which would point to an IP on the server where the broadcast will be uploaded & displayed.)

I have been searching for a way to create a Video Streaming Server. I wish to install it on my servers so that I may be able to use it for a variety of potential purposes. Currently, simply to do a Live Broadcast of a singing competition event. I need to have this up and running so we can test the system.

Can anyone advise on what the location would be?

Can anyone advise on how to set up the video on the server so that people can go to a webpage to view.

I have searched the web and I find some answers but not those I seek?!

Can anyone advise if there is any special software required on the server end?

I know that Video streaming scripts usually require some codecs and libraries (FFmpeg, Mplayer, etc) which can be installed on the server as per the script's requirement. Do you know the codecs the script required and so I can install those.

Many thanks

Additional Information on the current server set up in case this helps:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Hard Drives: 2 x 250 Gb
    Memory: 2 Mb
    Bandwidth: 6Gb

WHM 11.30.2
    Linux CENTOS 5.6 i686
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    search for directions to live stream with vlc. maybe this would work - http://wiki.videolan.org/Simple_Stream_VLC_to_Website
    Last edited by aedipuss; 7th Aug 2011 at 23:25.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a Linux server if I am not mistaken asx is used on a Microsoft or Windows server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    asx is a m.s. video format, the software running on the server needs to be vlc and most linux versions have it or can use it. it's a very simple streamer and vlc only creates on old type of wmv/asf that doesn't play nicely with newer systems well anyway.

maybe look at red5 if you need a more sophisticated streamer.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - I was looking into Red5 & Icecast.

Is anyone here familiar with these products and which of these would be the best solution for my needs?

Red5 - Open Source Media Server

Icecast - free server software for streaming multimedia

When it comes to this I am unfamiliar and attempting to learn.

I have been providing hosting solutions for over 12 years and been doing web development since 1992. I have never had a client request this capability before. So this is all new to me. This is something that the client has done for the past two years without a hitch - however they used an outsourced hosting service which was too expensive. They already have a dedicated server just for their website why not use the same for this annual event.

I have been reassured by the hosting facility that the server can more than handle it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    red5 was a little more developed than icecast. red5 is a flv/mp4 rtmp streamer whereas icecast is http pseudostreamer that only does ogg video i believe.

flash media live encoder / red5 / flowplayer may be worth a look.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - I'll look into that option...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is red5 and icecast are capable of handling live stream ? i m too looking for sw which can split live incoming mpts into single program.I want to show all the program simultaneously on screen from same multi program ts. tx in advance.
    Quote Quote