VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Great forum...plenty of info. However, I couldn't find help on my two MKV issues.

1) Any idea why I have to remux such a high percentage of MKV's? (see below)

About 80% of the MKV files I get from friends will not play. Many forum users suggest remuxing using MKVMerge/MKVToolNix. Using the latest 4.9 version didn't work so a couple more hours of reading disclosed many have rolled back and use version 4.0 because this doesn't have the Header Compression tick box. Amazingly 4.0 does does work, I can then play the MKV files.

2) Any idea why my demuxed m2ts files will not create a playable MVK file? (see below)

I've been using TsMuxeR v1.1 to split m2ts files into the 264 and AC3 file. I then use MVKMerge to combine them, manually entering in the FPS as instructed. When I go to open these new MKV files a Win7 balloon appears "Turned Off Aero theme..." and the MKV file never plays. This is a i7 quad core new PC. Any idea?

3) Even though apps show two of my MKV's are 1080p in height, they are clearly not. They have top/bottom bars and look like 800 or so in height. I used three apps and they all show the file to be 1080 height.
    Quote Quote  
  2. regarding 1):
    - using current mkvtoolnix versions and disabling the header compression will probably also do the trick
    regarding 2):
    - try using gdsmux (comes with Haalis Media Splitter) to remux m2ts to mkv
    - try another player
    regarding 3): 1080p files can have borders all around the video,... not sure what your problem is,...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ12 View Post
    Great forum...plenty of info. However, I couldn't find help on my two MKV issues.

1) Any idea why I have to remux such a high percentage of MKV's? (see below)

About 80% of the MKV files I get from friends will not play. Many forum users suggest remuxing using MKVMerge/MKVToolNix. Using the latest 4.9 version didn't work so a couple more hours of reading disclosed many have rolled back and use version 4.0 because this doesn't have the Header Compression tick box. Amazingly 4.0 does does work, I can then play the MKV files.

2) Any idea why my demuxed m2ts files will not create a playable MVK file? (see below)

I've been using TsMuxeR v1.1 to split m2ts files into the 264 and AC3 file. I then use MVKMerge to combine them, manually entering in the FPS as instructed. When I go to open these new MKV files a Win7 balloon appears "Turned Off Aero theme..." and the MKV file never plays. This is a i7 quad core new PC. Any idea?

3) Even though apps show two of my MKV's are 1080p in height, they are clearly not. They have top/bottom bars and look like 800 or so in height. I used three apps and they all show the file to be 1080 height.
    I can't help with the .m2ts to .mkv conversion. I typically convert the other way.

As far as 1080p, that just means that the movie is formatted to fit a screen that is 1920x1080. Most Hollywood movies are not shot in 1920x1080, 1920x800 is the most common, but there are others, too. Black bars are added to the top and bottom to fill out the screen. Check this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314764-Movie-resolution-aspect-ratio-quality-size-a...n-relationship
    Quote Quote