VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I'm brand new to video capturing and don't know anything about it. I'm looking to buy a video capture card so I can be able to hook up a VCR, Cable Box (DVR) and Xbox to capture video (not all at the same time of course). Some of the shows I have recorded are in HD and I'd like to retain that quality. I've read a few articles talking about the different video formats. Basically, it seems to come down to AVI vs MPEG. I would like to be able to do some editing eventually so I think I need to find a card that can capture video in AVI correct? It would be nice to also have the MPEG option which I assume the software would handle.

Can anyone suggest some cards that can capture video in AVI. I've heard that the ATI All-in-Wonder cards are nice, but they don't make them anymore and I'd like to buy something new rather then one from ebay. Since I want to hook-up my Xbox, I assume I need something that would be able to accept component inputs. I've read that video capture devices that connect via USB can have problems with dropped frames and video quality. Because of this, I think a capture card would be best (correct me if I'm wrong).

My computer currently has a GeForce 8600GTS video card. Would installing a video capture card interfere with this, or would they work fine together?

Any suggestions that you all have would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I new to all of this so I apologize.

~Brian

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Aug 2011 at 11:42.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed you have a very similar thread going, which predates this one. That is not a good idea and not compatible with forum rules. I will ask a moderator to close this one.

4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    rancineb, Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough.

Continue in: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/337480-Video-Capture-Device-Suggestions?p=2097135#post2097135

Moderator redwudz