+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the following htpc :
    Asus P5E-CM(HDMI) med Intel-G35 chipset
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 , 2,66GHz
    RAM 2GB
    ATI Radion HD 4550 connected via hdmi to a
    Sony LX900 3dtv

I have mounted a 3d bluray iso (i.e. Tangled) with deamon tools.
    VLC and MPC-HC are able to play the movie but only in 2D.
    Tried with PowerDVD 11 and the player detects that it's a 3D bluray (3D icon lights up and I can enable/disable it), but I can't manage to play the movie in 3D. When I enable 3d from PDVD it plays the movie in anaglyph for some reason!

Am I missing anything in my hw? Graphics card?
    FYI, I'm able to watch 3D SBS movies played from the htpc, but that's a different thing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD is a piece of crap. Years ago it was a very good piece of software, but their constant caving in to Hollywood to remove functionality has resulted in a product that just sucks. I have no idea if it is supports 3D BluRay or not. You're on your own with that one.

Arcsoft Total Media Theater 5 does support 3D BluRay playback. Here's a link to what it takes to play them back:
    http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/techspec.html

Your graphics card is towards the lower end of what Arcsoft recommends.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip! Will try their free version and see if it works.

Hmm, requirements for BD3D playback says:

RAM WinXP: N/A
    Does this mean it doesn't work on XP? I'm running XP.

Graphics Card AMD Minimum: ATI HD5000 series and above. Guess my graphics card doesn't cut it, right?
    Last edited by kid101; 2nd Aug 2011 at 09:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got ArcSoft Total Media Theater 3 and saved some bucks, both play Blu Ray well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kid101 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Will try their free version and see if it works.

Hmm, requirements for BD3D playback says:

RAM WinXP: N/A
    Does this mean it doesn't work on XP? I'm running XP.

Graphics Card AMD Minimum: ATI HD5000 series and above. Guess my graphics card doesn't cut it, right?
    It would take Arcsoft to confirm, but I would take the "N/A" to mean that XP is NOT supported for 3D BluRay playback since there are values for Vista and Win 7 listed.

Your card MIGHT work. You'll have to try it and see. I do not know how Arcsoft sets its minimum requirements. Some companies like Microsoft set their minimum requirements to mean "It'll run using this but it will be so slow and crappy that you regret it". Other companies use the minimum to mean something like "It'll run fine on this but if you use anything below this it either won't run or it will run very poorly".
    Quote Quote  
  6. kid 101 tick anaglyph in power dvd 11 settings and see if drop down menu helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. What is required to watch 3D bluray?

Cash.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks jman, will try.

@dessieclive, shouldn't I untick anaglyph? Don't want anaglyph since I have a real 3dtv with active shutter glasses.

Originally Posted by SingSing View Post
    What is required to watch 3D bluray?

Cash.
    And lots of time!

Strongly considering to rip the movie to SBS! Any suggestions on sw to rip 3d bluray to high quality sbs, removing some languages and subs? (Should maybe start a new thread for this.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    kid101,
    Want to make sure you tried this...
    From the PowerDVD site:
    How to activate TrueTheater 3D in PowerDVD 10

Get the most out of your DVD movies with TrueTheater 3D. TrueTheater 3D allows you to convert any 2D DVD movie into 3D for a new movie watching experience. During playback mode of a movie, click the button and you will be presented with the following pop up.
    Make sure the ‘Enable CyberLink TrueTheater 3D’ radio button is checked.
    Click on the pull down menu to select your 3D display.
    Adjust the 3D scene depth with the slider.
    Have you got the right display type listed?
    Your system ought to be able to play it (without HW accelleration).

Singsing - "Really??"

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Cornucopia,
    I haven't tried to enable TrueTheater 3D since I'm not interested in converting 2D->3D.
    I've only been in the 3d settings menu, playing around with different output modes.
    Will try this later today.

Maybe far fetched, but does the hdmi cable matter? I'm using a cable I bought 3-4 years ago. It's a "medium" priced cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    At least according to the HDMI people, for 3D over HDMI v1.4, one must have a "High Speed"-rated cable. Hard to tell whether yours is or not - there really arent any consumer-based "cable testing" tools out there that I know of.

AFAIK, "TrueTheatre" does more than just 2D->3D, so I would think it was appropriate. If it's not, it doesn't really hurt to have set it, eh?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe far fetched, but does the hdmi cable matter? I'm using a cable I bought 3-4 years ago. It's a "medium" priced cable.
    To the best of my knowledge on this YES. You have to use a 1.4 3D ready cable. And a three year old cable most likely will not do the job as the 1.4 spec is newer.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kid101 View Post
    Strongly considering to rip the movie to SBS! Any suggestions on sw to rip 3d bluray to high quality sbs, removing some languages and subs? (Should maybe start a new thread for this.)
    You may want to read this thread first.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/337485-Burning-3d-mkv-file-to-blue-ray-3d
    The guy who started the thread wasn't very happy with the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Not sure what movie he was watching.
    I've seen a few sbs mkv movies and in my opinion, they are really good with regard to picture and 3d quality. Kind of why I want to learn how to create sbs movies.
    Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Now I've been trying some stuff:

Tried with Total Media Theater 5, and the playback stops when trying to play 3D content saying something like : "The disc sensed that my system is not 3D bluray compatible, please try to play the disc from 3d bluray player or 3D BD compatible computer system."
    Thinks the outputed texts actually comes from the disc (tangled)! How can the disc sense this?
    Kind of suspects me running winXP being the problem.

I have PDVD 11 and the 3d menues looks slightly different.
    True Theater 3D seems to be enabled by default since there is no checkbox to enable it. There is only the depths slider. There is no drop down for choosing 3D display below the depth slider either, like in the screenshot above.
    There is a menu where I can choose 3D source: top-bottom, side-by-side or 2D, but during playback of 3D bluray this menu is greyed out (maybe because PDVD detects real 3D signal?).
    In the last 3D setting menu I can choose output format, but there is only Anaglypgh, Checkerboard and one other (don't remember the name). Problem is that I don't want anaglyph (which PDVD autodects for me by the way!), and my 3DTV doesn't support checkerboard and the other format!

Last thing I tried was to download and install latest drivers for my ati radeon HD4550. Screwed up my computer's graphics driver and settings because for some reason the installation of new drivers and catalyst center failed at the end! Went to sleep....
    Quote Quote