VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 3d, 1080P, X264, mkv movie that was ripped from a blueray 3d video. I want to be able to convert/burn this file back to a 3d Blueray disk to play in my blueray 3d player and watch it in 3d on my blueray capable TV. This is my first attempt at doing this. I originally tried to burn the file to a DVD using DirectXtoDVD, and all I came up with was a side by side copy of the file viewable on my computer. I have an LG BP06 portable super multi blue rewriter that says for BD 3d Playback.My burner has sthe following supplied with it that I have installed on my PC...1) Power DVD 3d Edition; 2) LG Burning Tools; 3) Power2Go; 4) Media Show; 5) Power Producer; 6) LG Firmware Update. It is connected to my computer through a USB 2.0 (Y type) cable and my computer recognizes the drive and all the software installed. I'd like to be able to combine the side by side into one 3d blueray disk to view in 3d on the above mentioned player and TV. Can anyone tell me what software I might need to do this and or how to go about achieving the results I seek?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, you must understand that, not only is the video now wrapped in a different container (MKV instead of M2TS/SSIF), but also the layout is different (Side-by-Side vs. MVC Base+Dependent), and you no longer have an "Authored" title.

That means that you can't get back the normal BD3D abilities without re-encoding, re-authoring, and re-burning. And, importantly, note that you won't get back the quality that was lost by going from MVC to Sbs.

Ok, so you still want to do this?
    Cheapest way you can go right now is to get a copy of Vegas Pro 10.0e, which ought to be able to recognize MKVs (although, if it doesn't you can always re-wrap to MP4, etc) and DOES recognize Sbs and will be able to output to BD3D disc images. That's $599. US.

BTW, if you were to play out of your PC, you'd still need a BD3D-capable app for the reauthored title. Currently, that means ONLY PowerDVD (v10Ultra or v11, NOT v3), or WindDVD Pro2010, or TotalMediaTheatre5, or Roxio CinePlayerBD3D. There are other choices if you wanted to LEAVE the file as MKV, output as Side-by-Side, and MANUALLY adjust your 3DTV for Sbs 3D source. This would be the easiest thing for you to do at this point, and since you've already LOST the resolution, not much worth in pretending it' still there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I erred a little. The box for the BluRay burner listed the PowerDVD as v3, but when I installed it, it was v9. Doesn't matter much though, since it will not allow me to convert to and burn BR3D. Seems I need to purchase an upgrade inorder to get V11 Ultra which can. As far as I can determine, my 3DTV does not have an adjustment to allow for sbs source. Anyway, this project is getting too complicated and costly for me to persue. I thought it would be relatively simple (as converting and burning using convertX to DVD is). I'm just going to return the BR Burner to Best Buy, and I'll wait until someone comes up with a tutorial that can walk me through the steps, and I can afford the sofware required to "Author" (not sure what that means anyway). Best Regards, Bill
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poetheraven1 View Post
    I'm just going to return the BR Burner to Best Buy, and I'll wait until someone comes up with a tutorial that can walk me through the steps, and I can afford the sofware required to "Author" (not sure what that means anyway). Best Regards, Bill
    You may be waiting a LONG time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What's your brand/model of 3DTV?
    Perhaps we could guide you to where you could manually turn on 3D for SbS input. Then you could just play your MKV file via a PC to the TV and be able to see it in 3D. That's one of the reasons many are currently using the BD3D -> MKV conversion software in the first place (even though it DOES lose 1/2 the resolution).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My TV is a Samsung LED TV Series [7 7000 and my Disc Player is also Samsung BD-C5900. After re-reading the user manual, I found a section entitled 3d mode that talks about Side by Side. Since I burned a DVD from the .mkv file, and when played on my computer shows the same image twice (Side by Side I Think), I think I'll fool with it a little and see if it will play the .mkv on my disc in 3d on my TV. I already returned the BluRay burner since right now I don't seem to have the right software as well as enough knowledge to burn the bluray 3d disk from the 3d .mkv file. I'll keep reading and after I've learned a little more, maybe I'll try again. Thanks for all your help and advice....Regards, Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This (from your manual) might help:

3D Mode: Select the 3D input format.
    Side by Side” and “Top & Bottom” are available
    when the resolution is 720p, 1080i and 1080p in

DTV, HDMI
    and USB mode or when set to PC

and the PC is connected through an HDMI/DVI

cable.

3D Auto View (Off / On)

: If 3D Auto View is set to On,

a “Side-by-Side” format HDMI signal with one of the

resolutions below is automatically switched to 3D. Here,
    correct 3D information must be sent from the Standard
    HDMI 3D Format.

If a 3D failure occurs due to a 3D information error,

set

3D Auto View to Off and manually select a

3D Mode

using the 3D button or corresponding

menu.

Support resolution (16:9 only)
    Resolution Frequency (Hz)
    1280 x 720p 60 Hz
    1920 x 1080i 60 Hz

1920 x 1080p 24 / 30 / 60 Hz
    Scott

edit: sorry it didn't paste too well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again Scott. I guess the secret to success is to just keep trying and learn from your mistakes. I'll get this down one of these days....Bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a followup to let you know that I got the side by side to work on my TV, and as you said, lost a lot of quality in the picture. Supposed to be 3D, but it was just barely...really a disappointment. I would have bought the BluRay 3D version if I could find it. Not available anywhere I've looked...Bill
    Quote Quote  
  10. First of all: Vegas 10 does not support mkv (and especially not 3D). So that would be a real waste of money.
    Second of all: The best program to play a 3D mkv is VLC media player.
    And the cheapest way to watch your 3D file on your TV is to just buy a HDMI cable, plug that into your computer and TV, set up your TV as second monitor and use VLC to play the file. Hit the 3D button on your remote, choose SBS and that's it.
    Trust me, I've done it a million times (I have a Samsung LE46C750). Baught a 12m HDMI cable for 30€ and I ALWAYS use VLC to play 3D files. Works great! And if you have a 3D movie that needs subtitles, you can just download the free 3DSubtitler and output to idx, which VLC also recognizes (just did it with Avatar and the results are awesome).
    Of course, this only works if your PC's graphics card has a HDMI bus, but getting a graphics card that does is still cheaper than spending 600 bucks on a program that doesn't even do what you want it to do.

BTW, I've looked into the whole burn 3D Blu-Ray business and couldn't find anything; what might be worth a shot is TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 which is a Blu_ray authoring program, but it didn't work for what I had in mind (burning Avatar 3D to BD), since it didn't support the 3D subtitle file. But if you don't care about subtitles, then you might want to check that out. I haven't yet tested it with other 3D mkv files, but it did not support Avatar 3D, so I had to convert it (which you can easily do using ImTOO HD Video Converter 6 or also DVDFab 8; although for this I would suggest ImTOO, as it has more formats).

But like I said... the best way to go is a HDMI cable!
    Last edited by nabugero; 7th Aug 2011 at 07:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nabugero View Post
    First of all: Vegas 10 does not support mkv (and especially not 3D). So that would be a real waste of money.
    Second of all: The best program to play a 3D mkv is VLC media player.
    And the cheapest way to watch your 3D file on your TV is to just buy a HDMI cable, plug that into your computer and TV, set up your TV as second monitor and use VLC to play the file. Hit the 3D button on your remote, choose SBS and that's it.
    Trust me, I've done it a million times (I have a Samsung LE46C750). Baught a 12m HDMI cable for 30€ and I ALWAYS use VLC to play 3D files. Works great! And if you have a 3D movie that needs subtitles, you can just download the free 3DSubtitler and output to idx, which VLC also recognizes (just did it with Avatar and the results are awesome).
    Of course, this only works if your PC's graphics card has a HDMI bus, but getting a graphics card that does is still cheaper than spending 600 bucks on a program that doesn't even do what you want it to do.

BTW, I've looked into the whole burn 3D Blu-Ray business and couldn't find anything; what might be worth a shot is TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 which is a Blu_ray authoring program, but it didn't work for what I had in mind (burning Avatar 3D to BD), since it didn't support the 3D subtitle file. But if you don't care about subtitles, then you might want to check that out. I haven't yet tested it with other 3D mkv files, but it did not support Avatar 3D, so I had to convert it (which you can easily do using ImTOO HD Video Converter 6 or also DVDFab 8; although for this I would suggest ImTOO, as it has more formats).

But like I said... the best way to go is a HDMI cable!
    I need to clarify a few things you said....

On the 2nd post, I mentioned that Vegas 10e probably DOESN'T support MKV, and that IF THE OP REALLY WANTED TO GO THAT ROUTE, there are ways around that (Frameserve, or re-wrap to MP4, etc).
    2nd, the OP was asking HOW TO CONVERT BACK TO BD3D (for consumer/settop BD3D use). Currently, Vegas 10e is the ONLY even remotely inexpensive way. NO OTHER consumer/prosumer app makes true BD3Ds (all the others that do are $$$$) - including TMPGEnc (it doesn't at all).
    3rd, I also already suggested leaving as MKV for cheapness sake. However, if the OP wants to go the route of [File on Disc] played by [Settop BD player] via HDMI to [3DTV], he/she needs to make sure that the settop player can read the file correctly (both MKV container, and video+audio codecs). If anything, the MKV container might be the sticking point there, so a re-wrap may be in order.
    4th, If the plan is to do what you were suggesting, HDMI may be preferred, but is not a necessity - DVI, or VGA might work as well. It just depends on the 3DTV. Some won't automatically switch to 3D unless it's HDMI, but are still able to manually switch to 3D through any other cabling. Others might be locked in to where they will ONLY switch to 3D via HDMI (whether automatically or manually).
    5th, I agree using VLC is a very good app for this purpose (if the OP is willing to go this route you suggest), but there are other apps equally suited (e.g., Stereoscopic player).

OP,
    Your playback of the MKV may be less than an original BD3D, but normally it shouldn't be so diminished as you are mentioning. I say "normally", because when it comes to DOWNLOADS/CONVERSIONS done by others, WHO KNOWS what kind of quality you're going to get...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've tested different methods to create a 3D BD in the past few days, using eac3to, tsmuxer, dvdfab, cinevision and sonic scenarist.

Basically with dvdfab you rip the 3DBD (Main Video without subtitle) to 2 separate ts files (left + right)

With eac3to you demux the SSIF file of the main video and downconvert the audio DTS-HD to DTS

After this you open cinevision and choose target blu-ray 3D disc, load the left and right .ts files and start conversion.

You will end up with 2 MVC files (left and right)

Now you have to create a project in sonic scenarist, add the left/right files and the dts audio and mux it.

You will end up with a .dat file which you can rename to .iso and write it to BD disc using imgburn

I've tested this with a small SSIF file (from Drive Angry), not the main video as it takes alot time with all the conversions.

I've written the iso to a 25GB BD-RE and it played on the PS3 with the latest FW.

The quality wasn't good because of the dvdfab's output, and now i`m testing another method of converting SSIF to left+right files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Great, easy as pie!

Except for the fact that, to get Cinevision & Sonic Scenarist, you either have to fork over >$20,000.00 or be illegal.

That's why I said above that Sony Vegas is the ONLY CURRENTLY AFFORDABLE (and professional and legal) 3DBD authoring/re-authoring solution.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the analysis guys. Getting the proper software to do what I want to do is cost prohibitive. As I said previsously, I was able to do sbs 3d on my TV and althought it was somewhat 3d, it was very poor quality 3d, and with my bad eyes, I didn't see much different than 2d. I have since added a wireless router to my system, and can now watch regular 2d movies located on my computer hard drive to my TV. So far this has worked super for older movies and even some HD stuff (amazing the clairity and quality of pictures of HD). Since my TV and my computer are located in different rooms, this solution seems the best (at the moment). I am hearing rumblings of 3D that doesn't require the used of special glasses, and that infact it is available on some small handheld devices. Here's hoping I live long enough to see this new technology (lol) on regular and big screen LCD or Plasma TV's. Anyway, the 3D today is a great improvement over the 3D of old (back in the day). I remember as a youngster going to see a 3D movie using the red/blue plastic glasses and in 2 hours, only got to see about 20 minutes of the movie because of so many technical problems. In those days, they used two synchronized projectors to project the two different images. Although, as I recall, I was in awe about it then, was really disappointed that they couldn't show the movies on one continuous run...Oh well, That was then and this is now. Perhaps I am trying to push the envelope a liitle to far right now...I am sure that technology will catch up sooner or later if people want it...Regards, Bill
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This topic is 8 months old, maybe there is a new software that can fix this?

I have try with ImTOO Blu-ray Creator 2, but when play on my 3D TV it's show side by side.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As has been said before, when creating an SbS-arranged disc from an MVC-composed disc, the player goes from inherently understanding that this is a 3D BD disc to assuming it is a 2D BD disc.
    Therefore, the player will NEVER add/generate the SEI signalling that usually gets sent down the HDMI pipeline to tell your TV to AUTOMATICALLY go into 3D mode.

The result is that: You have to switch it from 2D (where things look Side-by-side) to 3D, MANUALLY.

Think about it; would you WANT your player to take regular 2D discs and just add 3D signalling? No. You only want your player doing it when it KNOWS it has a 3D disc. How does it know? Well, 3DBD only recognizes one kind of 3D disc: MVC (the kind with the SSIF files on it). Any other is not STRICTLY a 3D disc (AFA the player is concerned), even if in your mind you may consider it one.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Namun View Post
    I've tested different methods to create a 3D BD in the past few days, using eac3to, tsmuxer, dvdfab, cinevision and sonic scenarist.
    Now you have to create a project in sonic scenarist, add the left/right files and the dts audio and mux it.
    how can add the left/right files and the dts audio in sonic scenarist(scenarist BD or scenarist BD-J),please help me,thank you
    TQD
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't add "left/right" files, you add the (pre-encoded) mvc files. Which you would know if you looked in your manuals.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    First, you must understand that, not only is the video now wrapped in a different container (MKV instead of M2TS/SSIF), but also the layout is different (Side-by-Side vs. MVC Base+Dependent), and you no longer have an "Authored" title.

That means that you can't get back the normal BD3D abilities without re-encoding, re-authoring, and re-burning. And, importantly, note that you won't get back the quality that was lost by going from MVC to Sbs.

Ok, so you still want to do this?
    Cheapest way you can go right now is to get a copy of Vegas Pro 10.0e, which ought to be able to recognize MKVs (although, if it doesn't you can always re-wrap to MP4, etc) and DOES recognize Sbs and will be able to output to BD3D disc images. That's $599. US.
    Thanks for the info. So you're saying that if I use Vegas and input an SBS MKV (or after converting from MKV to MP4/MPG) it's easy enough to be able to re-author it to a 3DBD? Is there a setting to tell it that this is a SBS file?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is the only one I could find for going from an MKV to a 3DBD. Everything else was for the other way around.
    Last edited by smd9; 29th May 2016 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not really a good idea. when the sbs mkv was made the resolution was cut in half and the bitrate probably reduced by at least 3/4. the resulting quality is probably only fair and now you want to re-encode it again? get the original source and start with that if care at all about the video quality.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have the original source, but it's copy protected and jumps all over the place if you don't use the original disc, so I can't make a proper backup of it. I thought I'd give this method a shot and see if it's still watchable. Can't be THAT bad, since the converted SBS file is still watchable. I just want to be able to use a Blu-Ray player to play it back instead of a PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd try converting to mp4 first, as most br players support playing standard mp4. mkv2mp4 might work. if not give vegas a try.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  23. I should clarify; I want to play it on a Blu-Ray player as a disc with frame packed 3D, not as a SBS file that my display has to manually translate into 3D. I could do that, but I want to have frame interpolation on with the 3D, and my display doesn't do that when it has to convert it from SBS to 3D at the same time. That's why I need to do the conversion to a full disc 3D BR.

So, will Sony Vegas Pro do this?
    Last edited by smd9; 31st May 2016 at 01:09.
    Quote Quote