VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very 1st time with AVCHD Camcorder

Normally along with my Canon A1s, I bring along a borrowed XH-A1 which regrettably acted-up on the past 2 outings so I decided instead yesterday to give it a "rest" and substituted it with a Canon VIXIA HFS-20 which is full frame HD and 100% AVCHD.

The problem is Premiere Pro CS3.2 will not import that footage into the project so i can work on it. It's the standard MPEG-4-AVC/H.264 compression AVCHD video with an .mts extension. This format/codec is entirely new to my experience.

Bottom line: how can this material be successfully converted or otherwise be repackaged to a more compatible format without quality loss that will be recognized as a valid format by Premiere Pro CS3.2 when attempting to import it ? I'd like to see it come out preferably as .m2t footage.

The material was recorded at 25 mbps and will need to be incorporated with HDV footage. That's another issue for a future post.

In order to use this I will need your valuable insight, knowledge and recommendations on how to proceed. All responses welcome.

Thanks so very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @canon gl2 guy -does premier pro see the file at all? Does it recognize the mts file? I would verify that your particular version of that program handles that type of avchd. I guess if its a "pro" version it should handle all types. However is this an older version more than a few years old? You might have to bite the bullet and buy a newer version if it deosn't recognize avchd - or you might be able to buy an avchd plug in for the program.

Other than that you could try remuxing the video into either a m2ts or ts file if you know for a fact your program can handle those file types.

You can use winff or tsmuxer to do the converison. It won't alter the video, just repackage it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere does not see the file at all and will not export it into the timeline for processing.

Yes, maybe demuxing it will do the trick as the file contains an AC3 audio track.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    Quote Quote  
  4. CS3 doesn't support h.264

You need to transcode to an intermediate format e.g. cineform

Another option is MPEG2. You could use a ffmpeg batch script for example
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canon gl2 guy
    Yes, maybe demuxing it will do the trick as the file contains an AC3 audio track.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    Well it seems poisondeathray says that it won't read h264 at all.

If that is the case then perhaps it is time to invest in a new piece of software.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon Vixia also that shoots AVCHD. I had the identical problem in Pinnacle Studio14 Ultra, wouldn't see or import for anything (and they advertised that it would). I finally converted all files to mpeg4 and then they all imported and edited fine, then burned to DVDs. No loss of quality that I could see.
    Quote Quote