+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to all
    My computer keeps shutting off at different times during operation
    (boot, windows load, windows running) I have replaced my power supply,
    my hard drive, I have checked all connections and nothing loose. Not sure
    what else would cause the power to go off, hence my question to the forum.
    My computer specs are listed with my profile.

Thanx for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably overheating.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I have removed all covers and placed a fan directly on it. still
    shuts down
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    take a close looks at all the capacitors on the motherboard it's about the age for bad caps. especially those around the cpu. look for any with bulging tops or crud on the outside.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The caps by the cpu(5 larger ones) appear to be raised to a point(cross cuts on the
    tops) others seem to be flat
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not a good sign, they are probably dried out and non-functional. i'd be shopping for a new m.b.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. would it be possible to replace caps?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by black cloud View Post
    Thanks. would it be possible to replace caps?
    Probably easier to replace the entire MB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe if you are a good board solderer and can get the proper replacements. no guaranties the regulation controllers, MOSFETs or clamping diodes haven't blown up also when the capacitors are going completely haywire.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Not feasibly, no. To test the mobo, disconnect all drive, remove all unneeded cards, reduce RAM to one stick, boot to the BIOS and let it sit there. If it reboots, try a different RAM stick. IF it reboots again, that pretty much nails the board, assuming you have checked for a stuck switch or disconnected it.

Also, manually check the heat sink temperature using digital probe (finger). Check for looseness on the heat sink assembly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if the boards that bad, it sounds like its a few years old. all the new boards Are ddr3 ram & Am3 chips or new pentium,
    you will have to shop around for ddr2 support on boards.
    you may have to replace all.ram, cpu, mother board & remember the new boards only have one if not none of the pata / IDE ports.
    so if you dont have sata hard drives & roms you may need to replace them too.
    good luck & keep us posted.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    maybe if you are a good board solderer and can get the proper replacements. no guaranties the regulation controllers, MOSFETs or clamping diodes haven't blown up also when the capacitors are going completely haywire.
    I definitely agree with that. It's not too hard to replace the problem caps, but you do need some electronic and soldering experience and the proper tools and be able to obtain the correct replacement caps. I doubt if it would be cost effective to have the job hired out, especially on an older motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If I may add my two cents. I have replaced caps(2) on my mb and less than two months later another one blew. Since it was getting up in age I decided something was telling me to upgrade even though I would have to spend my very dearly beloved cash on something else beside beverages.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson37, I removed all except 1 stick of ram(tried this with all, ran 2 hours
    for each stick of ram) no power off. So then I tried with 1 stick of ram and the
    IDE hard drive and 3 minutes later it powered off, same with SATA Hard drive,
    so is this MB bad ?

Thanx for all who helped
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's different.... the ram runs off the motherboard power controllers, the drives off the power supply. are you positive the new psu you installed is tested and good?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by black cloud View Post
    The caps by the cpu(5 larger ones) appear to be raised to a point(cross cuts on the
    tops) others seem to be flat
    Those sound like the caps that filter the VRM output. They'll make the computer operate strange including what you are seeing. One tip, if you decide to fix it yourself don't buy GP caps at a place like radio shack.

Recapping Your Motherboard http://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Recapping Tutorials http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=31 http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=32 http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=33

Badcaps Photo http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424

Main page http://www.badcaps.net/
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by rbivi11572 View Post
    If I may add my two cents. I have replaced caps(2) on my mb and less than two months later another one blew. Since it was getting up in age I decided something was telling me to upgrade even though I would have to spend my very dearly beloved cash on something else beside beverages.
    There is the problem. As an example if you see one or two bad ones in a row of 8 by the CPU the rest are on borrowed time. Or if you see a certain brand and type that has a failure change all of them.

Example 2200uf 6.3v marked KZG or KZE. change them all.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buy an old, known working PC and rip the motherboard out of that.

Alternatively, move everything except the MB over to the old PC.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everybody................. I am replacing the mb and cpu and anything else in
    the way time for a new computer!

Thanx to all for the help
    Quote Quote