VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to get divx with high quality picture from my dv tape (I would like that 1,5 hours takes about 700 mb).
    I have captured dv tapes with pinnacle 12, but edited them in virtualdub.

For video compression I use divx codec 6.9.2 (logical CPU), lower bitrate (1000 mb) because I need my file to be small in size, multipass Nth pass, format in and out is set on 16:9)
    For audio compression I use lame mp3 (48 000khz, 128kbit CBR, stereo)

I am usually filming two types of situation: a) old aeroplanes on airshows (a lot of movement and zooming is involved there) and b) my trips in other countries (where there my camera is also not steady, and I usually walk when I am filming).
    I have used filter smooth deinterlace and resize (size 640*360, aspect ratio 16:9, lanczos).

Having read some ideas to improve video, I have also added deshaker (it took ages: 9 hours or more for film of 1.2hours just for deshaking), and added MSU color enhancmenet and MSU smart deblocking.
    Truthfully, I dont see much difference between films edited only with deinterlace and resized and with all other filters, when watching the film. I see difference when I screencapture the film

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-13-06-all filters.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7943Click image for larger version

Name:	1-13-06 plain 2.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	7944

I have also added in this compilation of filters "sharpen" but then the picture is awful so i dont use it anymore.

What filters do you recommend?
    How can I improve quality of my picture when filming movement?

I would like to have clear, high quality picture in the end.

Is there some other way to get high quality divx of 1.5 hours in size of 700 mb (another programe, another settings or ....?
    What am I doing wrong (maybe the order of filters or something else)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whoever told you that you will get "high quality" with Divx/Xvid was lying to you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. do you have another solution?
    What other format you recommend that can be that small but with good quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. A tripod will offer the most dramatic improvement you will get, ESPECIALLY with movement and zooming. If you have not tried it, the difference is amazing. This will also contribute to better overall quality and filesize. Yes, I know it's a PITA.

Other than that, try H.264 instead of Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Shaky, noisy, handheld camcorder footage will not compress as well as Hollywood movies. You'll need to use a lot more bitrate, and hence, a much larger file. h.264 encoding will get you smaller files than Xvid. But it will take longer to encode and playback options are more limited.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Jul 2011 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok then, If I drop the idea of small file, what do you suggest?
    Do I stick with divx or do I make mpeg2? With which I will get a better picture?
    Do you have some instructions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Divx is useless for this.

Use MPEG-2.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote