VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,
    We recently bought our first blu ray on our ps3 and we came home and attempted to watch it and the screen is just scrolling all our ps3 games work fine and look brilliant... we switched it back to DV instead of HDMI and it works fine on DV... do i need a more powerful hdmi cable?
    madness.. its like distorted images of the disc that is impossible to watch.. please help! Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-25_19-28-35_84.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	7923
    Last edited by joeyg720; 25th Jul 2011 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you said the games work just fine..
    is that WITH the same HDMI cable the games work fine?
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes sir, games work beautifully with the same hdmi cable.. we switched it back to the 3 cables the dv connection and the movie worked.. it just wasn't showing full screen and looking nice you know lol.. but games look amazing! Not sure what's up
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont think the tv can handle 1080? .the movies are made upto 1080p/i...out of the box
    the games are made as 1080 but set as standared 720 if i remember wright.or put out 720 as standared till you change settings on ps3.try going to video settings with hdmi connected & set to 1080? see what happens.
    so if the tv (what model is it?)is only 720 .could be the problem?
    maybe im talking crap but it would make sence.
    hdmi should not make any differance.

hope someone else can shine a light on this...
    Last edited by wrathofbod; 26th Jul 2011 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I know for sure it's 1080i... will it not work if its not 1080p? Or whatever
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joeyg720 View Post
    Well I know for sure it's 1080i... will it not work if its not 1080p? Or whatever
    what TV,model number & manufacture?????????
    what size.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I cant find the actual model or what size it is... but its a panasonic, 1080i HDTV T [tau].. its pretty big.. its like a tube.. not a flat panel.. sorry its not alot to work with ;(
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if games play fine, bluray should also play fine, but either way i'd check your video output settings on the ps3 and make certain it isn't set for 1080p.
    my only other thought.. is this tv HDCP compliant?
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I know for sure it's 1080i..
    The cable or the movie?

will it not work if its not 1080p?
    Again you left out what you are talking about.

If its the cable get rid of it. 1080I is not good enough. You MUST have a 1.3 or 1.4 cable for the PS3 when playing Bluray movies.

1.3 cables support up to 1080P.

1.4 cables support 3D and could support higher than 1080P if it was available. I don't remember the maximum resolution.

Now assuming you are in the USA then PS3 bluray will usually be in 1080P so you must have a 1.3 HDMI cable or higher. It may be that the cable is 1.1 and that only supports 1080I. Or the cable could just be crap.

Games will work fine with a component cable BUT the Bluray will NOT function properly with a component with many if not most 1080P movies. It is part of the vain attempt by the Bluray group to stop copying.

Since many of the game are 720 and not 1080 the games might be fine with a 1080I cable.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote