VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yeah, yesterday my vlc found an update and i allowed it to download and install it, ok fine but then i made a stupid mistake which i never do that i allowed it to associate all files with it because i was in a hurry (otherwise i usually associate a handful of formats or none).
    Now i noticed a new problem, windows no longer creates thumbnail preview of newly added files. The files that are already on my pc shows the thumbnails correctly but video's added later after installing vlc does'nt, it does'nt matter if the video is simple .wmv or .mp4. it just does'nt bother to create thumbnails which is pretty annoying. And yeah if someone tells me that goto view and make sure "always show icons never thumbnails" option is checked then i am sure it isn't.

I am using Win 7 x64. Please help fixing this as it is pretty annoying
    Quote Quote  
  2. Uninstall VLC and see if your thumbnails come back. If not, use System Restore to go back to where it was before you installed VLC (any other system changes you made since then will be lost).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now you have another reason for an Image backup of your system-especially when it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. uninstalled vlc and rebooted, did'nt help.
    My guess is that some dll files got unregistered and have to be registered again manually. Like there was shmedia.dll in xp, i tried it in cmd but apparently it does'nt work in win 7.

EDIT: System restore did the trick, my last available restore option was from 7/19 and now it messed up my NIS and Shogun 2 installation, thankfully i always keep backup's of my all steam games so i will not have to redownload the whole 18gb silly thing and NIS is currently downloading some 70mb data. Better stay away from vlc in future and use mpchc
    Last edited by sohaibrazzaq; 24th Jul 2011 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm surprised Windows didn't make a system restore point just before installing VLC. By the way, you can run VLC without installing it. Just copy the Videolan/VLC folder from another computer to yours. Add VLC to your Send To folder. Then you can right click on a video file and select Send To -> VLC.
    Quote Quote