VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

I have a bunch of videos in avi format and I'm trying to join them into one large file. So far, I've managed to come up with a big file but a lot of frames have been dropped and the audio is really slowed down. After some research, I now understand that all the files must have the same resolution, same number of audio channels, same bitrate for both video and audio, framerate, and audio sampling rate. What I would like to ask is this: what is the most efficient (fastest) way to accomplish this?

I did manage to change the size of all of them to 640x480.

Can I load them (append) into Avidemux with all their differences, set the correct settings, and have it come out right? I started to try that, but the audio was already slow in the preview.

Using Ubuntu Linux, Avidemux, mencoder...

Very much a newbie! Thanks for any advice you can share.

tlee
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Previewing audio or video from within a editor may cause slow playback. They don't do that very well. Try it in a regular player instead, such as VLC. VLC does have Linux versions.

If you change the framerate you may have audio sync problems. I would convert each one individually before trying to join them. Then you can correct the ones that may have sync problems. But you can try doing them as a batch and see how it works. Some files may have variable rate audio and video, so those can be difficult to convert and sync.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply! Seems like one by one is the way to go. Learning on the fly here.

Cheers--

tlee
    Quote Quote