VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to hook up a DVD Recorder to a Comcast DVR that is already hooked up to the TV via a HDMI cable. The DVD is a few years old and does not have an HDMI input/output but does have 1. composite [rca] jacks, component jacks and s-video in/outputs. As I have the cables, I prefer to use the RCA jacks.

This is what I tried: DVR output to DVD in with one cable
    DVD out to TV in with the other cable.

This does not work.
    When I turn on the TV in HDMI2 mode, the satellite channels come through as they should. When I switch to “video2, the DVD comes on. What I want is when I switch to video2 the satellite channels to show up [which they are doing so in the HDMI2 mode] so I can record a program to my DVD from an already recorded program on the DVR.

Appreciate your help in this matter
    Quote Quote  
  2. ComCast is one of the worst cable companies to try and record from: they do everything possible to make it difficult unless using their own DVR. That said, your particular hookup problem is not uncommon: many decoder boxes and DVRs are limited to sending signals thru only one output connection at a time (digital or analog). So if you have the box set to output HDMI for the TV, the analog composite and component outputs are most likely shut off. Try connecting the composite output of the ComCast DVR, along with the HDMI, directly to the TV. Using the TV remote, see if it will show a picture when switched to composite input. If it does not, you'll know your DVR can't output composite and HDMI at the same time. When you want to record a DVD from the DVR, you will first need to change the DVR output to composite, connect it to the DVD recorder, and switch the TV to composite to monitor the recording. It a tiresome workaround but may be your only choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most HD DVRs and HD STBs cannot use any of their analog connections and HDMI at the same time. If you are going to use a composite connection from the DVR to the DVD recorder for recording programming from the DVR, you likely have to stop using HDMI output on the DVR. Disconnect the HDMI cable and go into the DVR's setup menu and configure the DVR to output via its composite and RCA stereo audio connections instead of its HDMI connection.

[Edit] I am a Comcast subscriber, and while I don't like dealing with the complications that resulted from them moving to mostly encrypted digital service, the difficulty using in multiple DVR connections at the same time likely resulted from engineering and economic considerations, not a plan to make life more difficult for subscribers.

It would certainly cost more to rent your DVR if it could output analog video, digital video, interlaced video, progressive video, HD resolution video, SD resolution video, HDMI audio, 5.1 optical audio and stereo audio all once so you could use any combination of outputs on the DVR at the same time.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jul 2011 at 15:32. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [Edit] I am a Comcast subscriber, and while I don't like dealing with the complications that resulted from them moving to mostly encrypted digital service, the difficulty using in multiple DVR connections at the same time likely resulted from engineering and economic considerations, not a plan to make life more difficult for subscribers.
    Maybe. But given how Comcast works (I am a long time customer) I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it actually is from a plan to make life more difficult for subscribers (that is, Hollywood made them do it deliberately) or that it happened on accident because of pure stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Maybe. But given how Comcast works (I am a long time customer) I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it actually is from a plan to make life more difficult for subscribers (that is, Hollywood made them do it deliberately) or that it happened on accident because of pure stupidity.
    Stupidity on the part of Comcast doesn't really apply here. Comcast doesn't design the hardware for their STBs and DVRs. Humax, Cisco, Motorola and Cable Labs are responsible for that.

If they did exactly what Hollywood wanted, all of their HD-capable DVRs and STBs would only have a single HDMI (with HDCP) connection, and none of the analog video and audio outputs that some people still need or want to be available.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Try connecting the composite output of the ComCast DVR, along with the HDMI, directly to the TV. Using the TV remote, see if it will show a picture when switched to composite input. If it does not, you'll know your DVR can't output composite and HDMI at the same time.
    I did as you suggested. It did work. When I took the cable from the DVR directly to the TV, turned on the set to HDMI, the picture was normal. When I switched to "Video 2" I also had a picture [much lesser quality of course.]

Then that proves the the DVR will output composite when hooked up to HDMI in addition.

What now??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Try connecting the composite output of the ComCast DVR, along with the HDMI, directly to the TV. Using the TV remote, see if it will show a picture when switched to composite input. If it does not, you'll know your DVR can't output composite and HDMI at the same time.
    I did as you suggested. It did work. When I took the cable from the DVR directly to the TV, turned on the set to HDMI, the picture was normal. When I switched to "Video 2" I also had a picture [much lesser quality of course.]

Then that proves the the DVR will output composite when hooked up to HDMI in addition.

What now??
    If composite works, most likely S-Video works as well. Run S-Video + RCA (red/white) to the DVD recorder.

Which Comcast DVR box do you have? (model number)
    I recall Scientific Atlanta 8xxx boxes outputing HDMI + composite.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Comcast with HD DVR Motorolla DCH 3416.

No problems outputting Analog and HDMI at the same time.

In fact, I'm feeding 4 different devices from that HD DVR. The HDMI goes direct to my Sony 32" tube HDTV. Flawless picture! Then I have 2 different Panasonic DVD Recorders, 1 fed from the S-Video jack, the other from the Composite jack, and piggyback (splitter) RCA cables for the Analog (L&R) Audio jacks. I also have the RF (coax) Out running through a window to feed a TV (via ch.3) outside in my garage.

My Panasonic DVD Recorders work great recording from the Comcast HD DVR box. The SD recordings of HD programs through the Analog jacks are excellent. Live cable, or programs saved on my DVR, or even On-Demand movies and shows are recorded to DVD with NO problems on my Panasonic machines.

However, I DID have issues trying to record to an LG DVD Recorder. I have 2 different LG DVDRs. Each model was VERY sensitive to copy-protection. It seems Comcast passes through some type of broadcast flag on some channels. And I'm not talking about just premium channels. The LG kicked out and wouldn't record "That 70's Show" from the analog (not HD) channel of FX. Lots of problems recording to LG, so I don't even bother anymore.
    Pannys are the best! Old models or new, they recorded everything including HBO.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post

This is what I tried: DVR output to DVD in with one cable
    DVD out to TV in with the other cable.

This does not work.
    When I turn on the TV in HDMI2 mode, the satellite channels come through as they should. When I switch to “video2, the DVD comes on. What I want is when I switch to video2 the satellite channels to show up [which they are doing so in the HDMI2 mode] so I can record a program to my DVD from an already recorded program on the DVR.

Appreciate your help in this matter

Keep your TV on Video2, you say the DVD comes on.

Now you need to select the Input of the DVD Recorder. Using your DVD remote, look for an Input select button. The Recorder needs to be set to the "In" jacks that come from your DVR. Probably Input 1 or 2, or Front or Rear, depending on your Make & Model.
    Sometimes the Input or Aux can be accessed with the Channel up/down button. It's usually "down" from ch.2 and/or "up" from the highest channel number.

Once you select the correct input on your DVD Recorder, you should see the program coming from your DVR.
    What you see on screen should now be able to be recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK! It's back to audio/video 101 for me. I had it hooked up correctly. I discovered the DVD was on the wrong channel. A couple of channel pressing and WOW! my picture.

Once again the DVR was on the right channel and that is why I was getting a picture from my HDMI2 cable mode. When switching to "video 2" mode, the signal was passing through the DVR to the DVD OK, but because the DVD was not on the right channel, the picture did not go through to the TV until I changed channels on the DVD.

Thanks. You guys made me put on my thinking cap even more than it was on. I am a strong believer in forums. Many thanks again
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will also need to put on your thinking cap to deal with your cable provider's copy protection once you get your hook up dialed in since almost all DVD recorders choke on copy flags.
    Quote Quote