VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi im new to this and new to converting i have a film which is mkv-dts now i tried to used popcorn to convert the audio to mkv ac3 but when it does the last stage i get message process wait extracting the file but then i left it for a hour or so and still nothing but i did get a message when i installed popcorn about im using windows 7 64bit and the version i installed was 32 bit version and asked me to install the 64bit versaion but they isnt one can someone help please be very much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't comment on popcorn but for audio conversion use the program EAC3TO. You can convert dts to ac3 with it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Programs I use to convert MKV with DTS to MKV with ac3.

I demux the MKV with MKVExtractGUI2.exe

I usually convert the extracted DTS to ac3 with MeGui 1989 that version works best for me.
    I make sure that I do not let it load any updates because sooner or later the updates makes the program useless.
    I don't ever use it on the video but it works great for doing audio.

I some times convert with XMedia Recode. It will actually convert without de-muxing.

I sometimes use DAudioK. It always works but doesn't produce an ac3 larger than 448 kbs.

Using MeGui the conversion from DTS to 640 or 448 ac3 takes about 6-7 minutes. The de-muxing takes about 10-15 min

Since My players wont play sup subtitles I have to de-mux anyway to convert the sups to srt.

When I re-mux the mkv I just replace the DTS with ac3 and the sup with srt. while I'm moving it over to my storage disk.

I don't know why but there are really no simple gui programs for just converting DTS to Ac3 like AftenGui for PCM to Ac3.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi all thanks for your help but i have with the programme you advised to use yoda the EAC3TO it just gives me loads of files and no programme sorry if i sound little dumb as im new lol which is the programme i use lol
    Quote Quote  
  5. lol now i dont know what to do now all ive got is sound of it its encoded the sound thats all i can play is the sound and not the video??????
    Quote Quote  
  6. i want to convert the film into ac3 5.1 i want the film with the audio conversion
    Quote Quote  
  7. all i want to do is convert the audio XMedia Recode has give me a decode of the sound of the film took 5 mins its on desktop but thats just sound 1 hour 45 min film but no film just sound i dont want to touch the film i want that as mkv but just ac3 5.1 lmao this is complicated lol
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you now have the sound, go back and use MKVExtractGUI2.exe[Its in the MKVtoolNix folder} on the origional MKV.
    Extract the tracks.

Than reinsert the tracks you want with MMG.exe from MKVtoolNix. If MMG asks for the frame rate of the video highlight the video track in the tracks box {just below the input box}and set the frame rate to 24000/1. If you want chapters you have to go to the global menu. The last box there is the chapter box. Hit browse and it should find the chapter file if it's in the same folder as the video track.

Hit the start muxing button and it should produce what your looking for.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's an easy conversion...simple process

1. use mkvcleaver to demux the dts file you wanna convert

2. use XVID4PSP to reconvert the audio to whatever you want

3. Use mkvtoolnix to add the ac3 file back into the mkv(Leaving out the dts file u don't want)

4. dance for joy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried mediacoder or avidemux? they both offer setting to "copy" the original video to the new one. then set the audio to render to what you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicknack74 View Post
    all i want to do is convert the audio XMedia Recode has give me a decode of the sound of the film took 5 mins its on desktop but thats just sound 1 hour 45 min film but no film just sound i dont want to touch the film i want that as mkv but just ac3 5.1 lmao this is complicated lol
    Since you have already used XMediaRecode to get the audio, I should have mentioned that XMedia recode can Take your MKV with DTS, convert the audio to Ac3 and save your chapters and origional video all in one step .

However, I have had limited success with these MKV files playing on my Seagate Media player. They do play fine with my WD media player and with my computer software players.

If you work with all the programs listed, you will find that they have their short comings. Some don't process chapters. Some do chapters but not subtitles. XMediaRecode will do chap and subtitles, has a nice Gui, and if it works for you is probably the easiest to work with.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  12. thanks tony and everyb ody else for your help used xmediarecode and did video and sound but it takes forever lmao whats best settings for it please tony
    Quote Quote  
  13. id be playing the films through my tv divxhd usb slot
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it took forever than somehow the video setting was set to re-encode the video. The video setting should be set to copy and the audio should be set to whatever ac3 kbs you want. I usually use 448 for talkie movies and 640 for action flicks. Make sure you set it for 5.1 because the default is 2 chan.

It should have taken about 10 min to copy the video and change from DTS to ac3.

Also, you should know, XMedia recode, if only given a DTS audio, will usually be short by 2 min. For just inserting a DTS for conversion, I use Megui. It always gets the times right.

Tony
    Quote Quote