VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have noticed that VirtualDub now ships it's de-interlace filter settings defaultly set to "yadif". What is that? When did it show up? Is this better than "blend"? It looks nice but I can't tell. Are my eyes really seeing a nicer picture? Am I doing something less natural than just blending the two fields together? I think that I can see the improvement on overlay things such as the date in the corner of the video. Should I stick with Blend? Is it better enough to make me want to go back and redo some work I've already considered finished?

I am only working with Home video shot on Video8 and VHS. I've been converting them to Xvid. I try not to get over complicated and keep it simple.

Capture 640x480 29.97fsp raw YUY2. 44.1k PCM Audio. I capture at 480 lines to ensure both feilds are snagged from the BT8xx chip.

Load up the capture file, chop out the noisy edges of the video, and simply add a de-interlace filter. I've always just been using "blend"

Then default settings for Xvid codec and LameMP3 CBR 128k bitrate and let it encode.

Any advise about the deinterlace choices? Any other advise?

Thanks,
    -Kreg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Blend blurs the two fields together. Look at a frame where there's lots of motion. Blend will look like a double exposure. You'll also see a loss of vertical resolution over the entire frame. Yadif attempts to only deinterlace parts of the frame where it detects comb artifacts. It usually gives better results, a sharper picture overall, but can lead to jagged artifacts on near horizontal edges, buzzing when there are small motions.
    Quote Quote