VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Can you please advise a tool to check and fix the structure, errors of already authored Blu ray disks? Something like PgcEdit for DVDs.
    I browsed the “Tools” section and it looks like it is BDEdit or AsfBin but not sure. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Sorry if my question is of a too general nature. I’d like to customize a Blu Ray disk: to remove ads and extra features. Once it is done, I’d like to check the structure of the customized one to be sure it is OK to burn it without errors and to be able to play back on a stand-alone player. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. BDEdit is as close as you'll get. Not an easy program to come to grips with, and the available guide is pretty thin, with little to no explanation for various functions. Read the author's thread at Doom9. IIRC, one of the participants in the thread posted a mini-guide of sorts that's helpful.

There's also a guide somewhere for customizing a BD with multiAVCHD.

If all you want is to strip out extras and keep the menu and main movie, Clown_BD BD Copier can do it, and it's a lot easier than either of the above options. Use tsMuxer mode and have a little patience, the program is crude and a little sticky, but it works.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I can probably use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 for the purpose, right? I am a little more familiar with this one as I have it for DVD and can upgrade for Blu ray.

I realize that the resulting Blu ray should be OK for burning and playing on a stand alone player but still is there a tool to easily check the resulting Blu ray for erros? What I mean is DVD Shrink, for example, is a perfect tool but after it sometimes the resulting DVDs have errors. PgcEdit automatically finds them and corrects them. Is there something like that for BluRay discs? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vertical View Post
    I can probably use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 for the purpose, right? I am a little more familiar with this one as I have it for DVD and can upgrade for Blu ray.
    Dunno, I don't use it.

As for checking playability, I don't know of any way short of playing the files, as I do with TME on my HTPC. Not playing all the way through, but checking here and there and making sure navigation works as expected.

Even running the files through, say, BDRB is not reliable if the original disc has complex interactive java menus, in which case the result is often botched, even if the process completes. Harry Potter 7 Part 1 is an example of such a structure. Although I have found that extracting main movie with Clown_BD is pretty near 100% reliable.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've created a backup of a Blu ray disc to edit it. I've removed the commercials & extras with TMPGEnc. Before burning it on a disc, I put it into an external hard drive and played back with Popcorn Hour C-200. Everything was just fine. After that, I burned it with IMGBurner on a Blu ray disc. While verifying the output, it showed lots of errors. When I tried to play it back on a stand alone Sony, in the middle of the movie it started getting sort of frozen. The picture was falling apart into squares. The disc went to the garbage.

It is not that frustrating about the disc. It frustrating for the lost time and the failure. I cannot watch every movie I decide to edit.

The same question: Is there a tool to automatically check the structure of the Blu ray disc upon load and fix it if required? Thank you and really hope that somebody advises something helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by vertical View Post
    While verifying the output, it showed lots of errors. When I tried to play it back on a stand alone Sony, in the middle of the movie it started getting sort of frozen. The picture was falling apart into squares. The disc went to the garbage.
    That is definitely not a problem with the disc structure. It's a failed burn, most probably caused by bad media. What is the media code as reported by ImgBurn?

As an aside, I recently tried some Merax discs that turned out to be made by Optodisc. Burned without errors, *supposedly*, with ImgBurn. But verification revealed massive miscompares, every last one I tried burning. Most weren't even recognized on my standalone, the rest did the skipping/freezing thing. So you're wise to use verification, at least until you get an idea of how a particular disc type will burn on your setup.

As to the second part of your question, same answer as before. BDEdit, but you gotta learn how to use it first, and it's not automatic. Learn how to use the Run and Trace Commands in particular.

And if anyone can suggest a tool that can do all you're asking for, easily and automatically, I'll be very surprised.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you suggesting to try another burning software or discs? The failed disc was TDK 50 GB.

"media code as reported by ImgBurn?" - At what stage does it report the code?

As for BDEdit, it is probably not for me. I am technically ignorant person. PgcEDit is good for me as it checks the DVD structure automatically.

Again, about ANT! folder. Can I just leave it out? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Put the disc in and hit "Discovery". ImgBurn will tell you the disc I.D., i.e. who actually made the disc. It will also show you the disc I.D. when preparing to burn. Use ImgBurn always, it's the best option for burning BD video.

From what I can gather from other sites (like MyCE), TDK has been outsourcing some of their discs, so it may be helpful to know the media code. And double-layer discs are going to burn less reliably than single-layer discs, regardless.

As to the ANY folder or the FAB folder, again, you don't need them
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

The disc ID is TDKBLD – RFB – 000

I’ve made another backup to-day and before burning it Icleaned the registry and HD and defragmented the HD a few times. Also, duringburning I didn’t give the computer to get into the standby mode. It mighthappen I was naive and the tricks were not relevant but burning was without errorsand I’ve got my backup successfully burnt.

Could those things be helpful?
    Last edited by vertical; 27th Jul 2011 at 22:18. Reason: different fonts
    Quote Quote  
  12. Those discs should be okay, but again, DL discs are going to have a higher failure rate. Probably just a one-off. ImgBurn can find updated firmware for your burner, if available.

I suppose a severely fragmented hard drive could cause a failure, but I'm doubtful. Dunno about standby.

Maybe someone else will comment.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote