VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm full of "help me!" requests this week, I guess.

I'm looking to see if there's a recommended program out there that'd allow capturing a still shot from a video or DVD playing on my computer (using Windows Media Player and some added codecs).

I've tried using the old "set WMP to its lowest performance setting" and then trying "print screen" but that doesn't work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vlc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anything other than Windows Media Player, perhaps?

You might try the screenshot abilities of Media Player Classic HomeCinema, or VLC. Many of the other third-party players probably also have screenshot-capturing ability, but I haven't really tried any other players.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when all else fails there is always the print screen key on the keyboard. Then just fire up Paint and paste. Crop and save - voila!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    when all else fails there is always the print screen key on the keyboard. Then just fire up Paint and paste. Crop and save - voila!

"I've tried using the old 'set WMP to its lowest performance setting' and then trying 'print screen' but that doesn't work."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Anything other than Windows Media Player, perhaps?

You might try the screenshot abilities of Media Player Classic HomeCinema, or VLC. Many of the other third-party players probably also have screenshot-capturing ability, but I haven't really tried any other players.
    I'll take a look at this "VLC" and find out what it's all about. Thanks guys. Guess it's a player with better features? (Maybe it'll also solve the problem I've had in the last month or so with WMP no longer playing .flv even with additional codecs. Oh, it plays them...without audio. Don't know what happened. Been having to convert every .flv to another format before it can be heard.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post

"I've tried using the old 'set WMP to its lowest performance setting' and then trying 'print screen' but that doesn't work."
    I am not understanding your reply. For my experience, regardless of the player, I simply pause the video at the desired frame and then press the print screen key. It has never failed me. However, if a player has a built-in screen capture function I will use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the print screen method does not work it is due to the way that your video card is using the overlay. So you end with a green screen where the video should be. A 'fix' to this is to go to the troubleshoot properties of your display settings - right click on desktop/properties/settings/advanced/troubleshoot and move the slider to the left.

That 'fix' could cause display issues so it really is a last resort. VLC is a one-click solution. Media Player Home Cinema will also do it but I have found issues with anamorphic dvds so you do not get an image with the correct aspect ratio. There may be a fix within the program for this but I have not persued it. VLC does it at the correct aspect ratio with just one mouse-click and no copy/pasting etc.
    Quote Quote