VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First Before I begin, I want to say sorry if this should be in "DVD Player" forums and any admin that feels the need to move the thread, please do so .. point is .. .I am not sure if its a Media issue, DVD Player issue, or DVD burner ISsue, so i posted it here

---------------------------------
    Ok, I am having issues with Office Brand DVD-R discs, that I have used (almost exclusively ... brand-wise i mean) and never had issues with .. between CDs and either DVD-r's or DVD+R's (which both play in any of the players mentioned below) ... I have bought hundreds of "OD brand" media and went threw hundreds of Dvds and CDs and only had 1 problem when the power went out in the middle of a burn (not burner or discs fault of course)

I will try to give as much information as possible on the problem. I keep making DVDs, that no matter the programs I try, come out "sucessfully burnt", though they can not play on any set top player I try, not even my PC that I burnt them on anymore.

My setup player: (will have to lookup the model number later) but its say a 2007-2008 Sony player. It sounds like its trying to read the Disc, but ends up saying "can not read this media" type message. I have used Office Depot Brand media before and the first (guessing at exact number) 30-40 DVDs of this spindle without any problems... SUDDENLY it seems all the dvds I make are no good ... 10 bad ones so far. I WANT TO MENTION all original dvds and dvds I burnt even a few days ago before this issue started load up instantly and have no problems at all. This aeems to me to rule out the DVD player going bad.

A realitive gave me a small non-name brand travel dvds player that has the ability to be hooked up to the TV and it plays 1 out of 10 discs, but only after like 10 minutes of "loading" ... like the Sony ... all other discs (burnt before issue or original) have NO ISSUE player at all.

Phillips 5-dvd changer/surround sound system (not my dvd player, but one i tried it on) ... plays the same 1 dvd the portable player plays .. no lag on "loadup" ... all other DVDs are not even "loadable"

Software I have used (following instructions on how to make the DVD in a "VIDEO DVD" format): CDburnerXP, and DVDFab 8, Imgburn (which I use and only the other two programs when i thought it could be a setting problem in ImgBurn) .. Imgburn is the one I always use.

NO "burner" driver upgrades done and no major software (say SP) updates done recently

DVDInfo Pro (trial) everything (not counting burn date) is the same on a good DVD i have and the bad dvd.

The "name" of the media is RITEK1, UDF format is 1.02, same (2.5.3.0) Imgburn version (though like i said CDBurnerXP does the same thing in the end).. Both programs say "successfully burnt" and give no indication of any errors. The same GOod burnt DVDs and "original" Dvds play fine in the laptop's (only dvd burner I have) and they load in usual time.

I am going to pickup (in a few days) a 100pk of dvds on sale at OD this week (Ativa ... which are almost the only non "OD brand" media I have used and have used 100's of discs over the years and neer had issues) for 15.99 ... even without this problem .. (if its a bad spindle i have now) .... thats a good deal anyway.

I am worried its not the DVD media itself .. cause if its not .. I am out of ideas ... I really cant seem to pinpoint the issue. I am thinking its bad media though and though I have not had any problems since a (@2006 pack of Sony DVds that it seemed that 3/4 of the spindle was bad.... tried a different brand media and it burnt a-ok ... different PC at the time though ) .. I am thinking its the same issue (media). I am just going nuts trying to check all the burner prog settings (though nothing has been changed by me)

I have also ran multiple DVD/CD lens cleaners threw each dvd player and the burner ... the only media that is not playing is the DVD media I burn from this spindle ... like I said ... the first say 35-ish Dvds were a-ok and they STILL play on all drives/players .

I am also (probably will have sent off email by the time I get a response to this) to office depot ... I have gotten rid of a few bad dvds so far, but as far as the spindle goes .... I still have say 50 of 100 left roughly ... even considering that sale i mentioned, and how I will buy that 100pk).... I wonder if there is anything they can do... like give me the 15.99 spindle of 100pk for say 7.99 (+tax) or something IF I CAN RETURN the spindle I have now... I will of course check their policies first. I am not even sure if (though i'd be my first bet) the media itself IS the issue.

I am just looking for feedback ... a (try going into this program and changing these settings) .. or a "yes ... that happened to me.. 100% sounds like the media) ... I have just spent too long (without asking for help) on my own trying to rack my brain figuring this out.

Thanks in advanced for any info and comments. I am ppsting this issue on a few sites and will be checking back every so often ... I will be sure to say "solved" if I fix my problem... I will also be glad to provide further info. for anyone who can help. AGAIN .. THANK YOU

-Xmetalfanx
    Quote Quote  
  2. I read through your entire post and don't see that you've taken any steps to rule out the obvious possibility:

Your burner may be done for.

They do wear out you know. Tried burning one of those discs on another burner? Also, just because ImgBurn says it burned the disc successfully, doesn't mean it's good. It means ImgBurn did it's job, that's all. (I just went through several Optodisc BDRs that supposedly burned successfully, but failed verification). You should verify your burns at least occasionally, and especially if you suspect a problem.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    First thing, I would check to see what manufacturer made your DVD media. The name on the label has little to do with the actual manufacturer. ImgBurn can tell you the manufacturer code and you can check that against our database. The most common cause of your problem is crap media. It may work sometimes and other times not. That's why it's crap. Quality may vary even within the cake box. I would suggest you try some better quality DVD media.

If you use ImageBurn consistently, and you use good quality DVD media, it's not likely you will get a bad burn. I use Tayio Yuden DVD media for DVD-5 and Verbatim media for DL (DVD-9)DVDs. I haven't had a bad burn in years.

I would try some Verbatim or TY SL DVD media and see if you get different results. If you don't, then you messed up the file before the burn.

Second part, maybe your DVD structure is messed up. Then you would have to correct that before your burn.

Last would be a failing burner. But that seems less likely.
    Quote Quote