VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm doing a project and I have 8 VOB files each file over 1 GB. All together the files exceed 8 GB. I want to merge these files together into one and reduce the file size because it s extremely large (and perhaps convert to AVI)

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can merge them using VOB2MPEG. You can lower the size easily with DVD Shrink, or with better quality using DVD-Rebuilder. Both will make smaller sized DVDs. You can convert to XviD or DivX AVIs using AutoGK or many other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    But I'm not putting the file onto a DVD. I merged the files and the size is 8.54 GB. I need a software that can reduce the size but not onto a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDShrink's final step is to Burn onto a DVD, but that is only optional (and only if you have DVDDecrypter and/or ImgBurn installed, IIRC).

Just skip that last step and you'll have an ISO that is shrunk to the size you want. Extract the VOBs with ISOBuster, etc. if you don't want a monolithic file.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
    (and perhaps convert to AVI)
    I need a software that can reduce the size but not onto a DVD.
    Manono already answered in his post.

And if you want an AVI/Xvid you don't need to join/merge anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The missing part of your post is what you intend to do with this file. Merging and compressing is easy, and there are plenty of tools that can do it. However the correct tools and output depend entirely on why you are doing it.

You say you are "doing a project" - what is it ?

If it is a project that includes editing the footage then you might consider converting to DV. This would make the files even larger, but much easier to work with in most editors.

If the project is to compress the file for playback on a large screen TV through a media player then you might want to consider H264 at 2 - 3 kbps. Your file will be around 25 - 30% of the original in size, but still have high enough quality to look good.

If the project is simply to crush the life out of the file - the infamous "I must get my movie down to 700MB or I'll die" project - then AutoGK may be the answer.

You need to provide clearer details on what you are trying to achieve if you want more than guesses for answers.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    It's a family project, I have old videos of myself and family so I want to merge them together. I did that but now I want to reduce the file size so I can upload it onto a file sharing site for saving and also for my family and friends to download outside the country.

But over 8 GB is way too big and there isn't enough space on my hard-drive, I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 GB. (The format doesn't bother me I just want it down to 1 or 2 GB)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest two things

1. Burn the 8 GB DVD to a couple of dual layer discs and put them in a dark, dry place as an archive

2. Use Freemake Video Converter and a bitrate calculator (I like vcalc) to get a 1 - 2 GB MP4 (H264) file for uploading

The other detail missing is how long the video is. Filesize = Running Time x Bitrate. Given running time is a fixed value, the bitrate (and to a large degree, quality) will be determined by how small you want the file to be.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Bit rate: 2 114 Mbps
    Duration: 02:39:01
    Audio bit rate: 192 Kbps
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But over 8 GB is way too big and there isn't enough space on my hard-drive, I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 GB. (The format doesn't bother me I just want it down to 1 or 2 GB)
    Completely unrealistic expectation.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you do NOT have enough room on your HDD for an 8gb file, you either have way too much crap that you need to get rid of, or you need to upgrade to a modern PC/HDD.

But who know's seeing as you never filled out your PC specs.....

For F's sake, 8gb is only two single layer dvdr's!!!!

Which is nothing in terms of space on any modern PC/HDD built within the last few/many years!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I want that "crap" on my PC. Anyway I used the Freemake video converter and it worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone who helped
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Gimlets........
    Quote Quote