VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 7 video file, 4 about 12Gb, one 16.6, and 8.5, the last 10.9 I don't want the video quality to go down to much so I'd like for each file to fit on one DVD. My question is what should I convert it to, to archive that file size (4.37) and possibly keep the video ratio the same.

Also is there software online where it will give me a file estimate of file size after converting to that encoding type.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Generally, you can't further compress Blu-ray video by 3:1 or 4:1 without losing some quality. x264 will probably give the best quality (use a GUI front end like xvid4psp) but you'll end up with an MP4 or MKV file that won't play on a standard DVD player. I don't know what you mean by "keep the video ratio the same".

file size = bitrate * recording time

Use a bitrate calculator to determine what audio and video bitrates to use to get the file size you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But its already done with x264 but the files are huge too big for a dvd or a dual layer. Oh yea when I said video ratio I mean aspect ratio.
    Also these files are x264 but with a mkv ext. and I thought that x264 was for mpg 3 or 4

My VLC player gives me these codec details
    Type: Video
    Codec H264 Mpeg-4 AVC (part10) (avc1)
    Language: English
    Resolution 1920x800
    Frame rate: 23.976215

Strean 1
    Type Audio
    Codec DTS Audio dts
    Language English
    Channels 3F2/LFE
    Sample 4500Hz
    Bitrate 1536kb/s

Which one can I slak off on and try and keep a High video quality

and I think its such a large file is because of the resolution and the DTS audio
    am I right when I say that.
    Last edited by AndreL; 18th Jul 2011 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone might know more but it seems as though the mkv container can contain just about anything, it seems to be very versatile.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    But its already done with x264 but the files are huge too big for a dvd or a dual layer.
    That's why the quality is only going to get worse. The video is already compressed with (arguably) the best compression codec.

Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    Oh yea when I said video ratio I mean aspect ratio.
    That's just a matter of setting the AR flag when you encode.

Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    Also these files are x264 but with a mkv ext. and I thought that x264 was for mpg 3 or 4
    x264 is an implementation of the MPEG 4 part 10 compression specification, also known as h.264 or AVC. MKV is a container (a way of organizing data within a file) that can contain audio and video compressed with any of a number of different codecs. The x264 encoder can output to MKV, MP4, FLV containers, or as a raw h.264 stream.
    Quote Quote