VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Since everything on here is digital recording based, I didn't know where to post about magnetic film.

I recently found my parent's old collection of VHS recordings and what I gather is 8mm film. They look like cassette tapes is basically all I can tell from them. I've never been more amazed by technology in my life. Just yesterday I was swelling with pride in humanity that we have electronics like we do now and was absolutely excited for the fantastic, alien future we have coming in regards to technology. When I found these old camcorders, I was astonished. "WTF is this this?" "What the **** does this do?" These are just a few of the many things I said when tried to work these camcorders.

This being said, I need someone to give me an idea of what exactly I am dealing with. I need someone to tell me, in today's language, what the differences are between VHS and Betamax video tapes are. I need someone to tell me essentially how I can turn the devices into something familiar.

What equipment do I need to be able to view these in full screen, considering I can't just pop 8mm film into my Acer? Do I need to pop one of these babies into a VHS in a VHS player? What happens when I record over things?

These are just some questions I have. I thought it would be an awesome experience to look at my early childhood, see video of my grandma whom I have trouble remembering, that sort of thing.

Any kind of help would be great. I just want to learn how to use this old technology, which I found to be more alien to me than something from the future.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean 8mm film like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Film_Reels_Large.jpg
Views:	1880
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	7827

or 8mm videotape like this

Name:	0000009ab206c052d.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	7828
    If the latter does it say just 8 or Hi8 or Digital8?

List all the make/model numbers of players or label details on tapes.

You can Google "VHS" or "Betamax" for background info.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Betamax (top) vs. VHS (bottom).

Name:	Betavhs2.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	7829

VHS tape vs smaller VHS-C camcorder tape.

Name:	VHS-S-VHS-S-VHS-C-comp-650.jpg
Views:	2602
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	7830
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PeripheralVisionaryX View Post
    What equipment do I need to be able to view these in full screen, considering I can't just pop 8mm film into my Acer?
    If 8mm video cassettes: unless your monitor has composite or s-video inputs you'll need a video capture device to view them on a computer.

With 8mm film you'll need a projector, a video camera, and a video capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is what I'm trying to bring back to life:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony "Video8" tapes can be played in Video8 players, like the two camcorders shown, or in Hi8 or some Digital8 players.

Do either of these camcorders work when connected to a TV composite input?

If so there are various computer capture devices or you can pay a service to convert the tapes to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Or a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Sony "Video8" tapes can be played in Video8 players, like the two camcorders shown, or in Hi8 or some Digital8 players.

Do either of these camcorders work when connected to a TV composite input?

If so there are various computer capture devices or you can pay a service to convert the tapes to DVD.
    I'm not sure. I do not have the cables for these, but then again, I never looked. They may also be hidden away like these were. I'll have to check.

I just bought a Canon Vixia HF R100. Would any of it's cables work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those tapes look best played in a high-dollar Hi8 camera.

How many tapes? It may give best results to just pay a reliable service using such hardware.
    You'll probably spend the same both ways, but not do as good of a job on your own.
    I handle a lot of 8mm tapes for that very reason.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PeripheralVisionaryX View Post
    Would any of it's cables work?
    You just need a standard AV cable to connect to your TV or a DVD recorder. Available anywhere.

Those camcorders will only do mono audio so only one audio cable will be used.

Name:	av-cables.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	7842
    Quote Quote