VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: chiang mai
    Search PM
    i have a spanish .avi with english .srt subs i'm converting for my older creative mp3 player. two reasons why conversion is necessary is because the audio stream isn't compatible with my player and i don't speak spanish.

    is there an EASY converter that will hard encode the subs and be able to change font? i've tried freemake and it burns the subs properly, but there's no option for sub size. they're unreadable at the default size.

    i can't get handbrake to convert with subs at all, even when the .srt file is selected. besides which, the only option is mp4 or mkv and i'm not sure my player will play those formats.

    yes, i've looked through the older posts, but they're either 4-7 years old or they contain help recommending command line programs and such. i hate to hate, but i'm shocked there's no easy solution here in 2011 for selecting a sub font size.

    thanks for any recommendations..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: chiang mai
    Search PM
    I got Freemake to burn with SSA by converting SRT with SubResync, but even when changing the font size inside the SSA, Freemake still keeps whatever Freemake's default setting is. Barely adequate for TV size, and impossible to read on a portable device.

    Handbrake only uses SRT, SSA is not an option.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: chiang mai
    Search PM
    finally got it...

    converted subs to .ssa from .srt with subresync.

    added subtitler plugin to virtualdub

    installed h264 vfw encoders to windows.

    the audio and video were +2250ms out of sync using lame mp3 and h264. i think this was a result of using virtual dub to re-encode both the audio and video at the same time from the original source, or possibly some setting within the h264 codec - because when not selecting a compression method for video, the audio was in sync.

    if someone has the answer to the 2.25s sync difference would be great. the video input and output seemed exactly in sync, so not sure why the audio would be so out of whack... tried a couple different mp3 encoders and result was the same.

    anyways...this process sucked, would of been much easier if freemake aloud a simple change of font size, but in the end i learned quite a bit more about video/subtitles/audio and some cool software tools...

    ok, i'll stop talking to myself now..

    cheers...
    Last edited by damian5000; 17th Jul 2011 at 09:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: chiang mai
    Search PM
    encoding in xvid syncs with audio just fine. so guess it's something with the h264 codec.

    perhaps tinkering with the h264 codec settings would get vids to sync up properly without having to edit subtitle delay settings.

    if you google "change subtitle size freemake", this thread comes up #1.



    also, using VobSub within VirtualDub (as suggested in the FAQ/tutorial and as opposed to standalone subresync) took out the conversion step from srt to ssa and aloud edits to placement/styles/fonts/size right within virtualdub without manually having to edit the text file.
    Last edited by damian5000; 17th Jul 2011 at 20:50.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads