VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi that's my first post and I would like to say hello for everyone!

Here I will describe my problem:
    I have video stream (movie) of 1h 49m 46s (6586s) with foreign language audio stream which I want to get rid of and replace with English audio steam.
    I found English audio stream of the same movie (from the movie with the same fps, 25). But it's length is 1h 50m 48s (6648s)
    Now I'm wondering how to stretch this new stream to a movie, because I used audio skew correcion in VirtualDub . however this does't work and audio/video is out od sync.
    Any help would be appreciated thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you load it into Audacity, select 'Effect' > 'Change Tempo', you can insert the new time (without changing the pitch) then export the new file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I prefer Reaper for this, it has sophisticated built-in algorithms especially for this, all you need to do is load both audio tracks, hover cursor over end of your English audio and ALT-click to drag & stretch to line it up with the foreign audio. You can zoom in with "+" and "-" keys.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You might consider changing the frame rate (without reencoding) of the video instead of adjusting the audio. But don't be surprised if the different lengths of the two films is because there is additional footage in the two videos. In which case you can use simple techniques like this to fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You might consider changing the frame rate (without reencoding) of the video instead of adjusting the audio. But don't be surprised if the different lengths of the two films is because there is additional footage in the two videos. In which case you can use simple techniques like this to fix the problem.
    What's the best/easiest way to change the framerate of a video without reencoding?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kewjoe View Post
    What's the best/easiest way to change the framerate of a video without reencoding?
    You set it at the container level. AviFrate, MkvMerge, Yamb (MP4), etc all have frame rate options.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Kewjoe View Post
    You set it at the container level. AviFrate, MkvMerge, Yamb (MP4), etc all have frame rate options.
    Thanks for the reply Didn't help with my particular issue, but good to know for the future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    if you load it into Audacity, select 'Effect' > 'Change Tempo', you can insert the new time (without changing the pitch) then export the new file.
    X2

Leave the video stream alone -- just shrink the longer audio to match the shorter video time, and suggest you save this as a WAV (not MP3) audio. Load the video into VirtualDub, select "Video/Direct stream copy", disable the foreign audio stream, add the shrunk English WAV audio stream (from Audacity), and compress the audio to MP3 if you don't want PCM/WAV. You may need to tweak the A/V sync on the "new" saved video file, but hopefully the English audio stream was "in sync" at the start of the video to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The running time differenecs cannot be explained by the frame rate difference alone. There is extra footage in the foreign version that is not in the english version. Simply stretching the audio won't get you in sync.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree. And if so, the only answer is to find where the audio for that extra scene(s) is and cut it out.

Easier, I think, would be to add subtitles to the video like normal people do.
    Quote Quote