VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, My first post here so please be kind! I wasn't sure where to post this. I downloaded a 2G .mkv video file. I wanted to make a DVD disk to watch the video. My first attempt (selecting 4:3) and a good quality recording resulted in two DVD's with the following features: - Looked great, sharp on my computer/monitor (15", not wide-screen) at full screen size. - When played on my DVD player, the image, though sharp, was SMALL and hard to make out because of that. My second attempt (selecting 16:9) and best quality recording resulted in two DVD's with the following features: - Looked great, sharp on my computer/monitor (15", not wide-screen) at full screen size. - When played on my DVD player, the image was sharper, but still SMALL and hard to make out because of that. Is there something I can do to make a good DVD for my regular flat screen TV (not wide-screened) with this .mkv file or is it impossible? Could you please explain, either way? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVD spec is limited to standard definition (720x480 or 720x576 in PAL regions), so it's basically impossible

Consider getting a blu-ray player or better yet a media box (e.g. wdtv, asus oplay, popcorn hour, tvix) which can play the original file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't say how you attempted to convert it to DVD. Your best bet is AVStoDVD, however if the mkv is widescreen, the resulting DVD will be widescreen. If you want full screen then you will have to learn how to butcher, er, crop, the video yourself by modifying the avisynth script AVStoDVD generates. Or you can create a widescreen DVD and use the zoom mode on your player to fill the screen.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote