VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. here is my setup. have an ati 5450 video card and that's hooked up to my 46" Samsung LCD. i then use the passthrough optical to my stereo reciever. i only am able to get left and right no 5.1. when i do a codec test in the sound properties it say's unsupported and will be disabled. is there any way of getting 5.1 to pass through to my reciever. i know it works cause my cable and my ps3 works fine. is there a limitation to this card?

thanks.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 7th Jul 2011 at 14:49. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed your thread title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your PC is hooked up to the TV through an HDMI cable and your TV has a digital audio out (optical or coaxial), hookup the TV to the receiver. You'll have to set the audio output and input of all the devices to match, RTFM. Also, your playback software has to support 5.1 output or at least allow you to pass it through.
    Quote Quote  
  4. what is RTFM? i have it hooked up through hdmi and optical out of the lcd(tv) to my reciever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maxone71
    what is RTFM
    Read the F*** manual. That is internet shorthand.

You have to make sure hdmi is set as the main audio out. You also make sure the hdmi is capable of 5.1 on your particular system on the computer. THat is where the manual comes into play.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on your motherboard, it may have a S/PDIF connector on it. You can route that directly to your receiver via a coaxial audio output. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333711-S-PDIF-connectors-and-making-your-own-MB-S-PDIF-connector?
    Quote Quote