VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I shot my fireworks display with my Nikon P100 camera. I've shot many videos with this camera before without any issue. However this one time during the display my battery went dead so I quickly swapped batteries and continued filming the show. Well the first file plays fine however the second file (on new battery) starts fine but the audio progressively gets more and more out of sync - in upwards of 3 to 4 seconds in a 4min video.

Now I've fuddled with video a long time, lurked here often, but first time posting. I've had this issue before and I've always been able to fix it one way or another. However this is the first time I have not - also the first time the source video was QT / MOV.

I've tried playing the original file on different machines and numerous players (vlc, mpc, wmp, divx player, and even in QT) they all experience the audio sync issue.

I've tried re-encoding the file to raw uncompressed audio / video AVI then remuxing it (this has always worked in the past as a last resort) but not this time.

So my real question here is - is there any one thing that'll fix this issue or am I going to have to manually shift the audio various amounts throughout the whole video!?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	movsync.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	7712  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What did you try reconvert it with ? Try mpeg streamclip and quicktime pro.

But I'm pretty sure it wont help so you have to manually resync.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I figured QTP would be my ultimate last option - I didn't want to pay for it if it wasn't going to resolve the issue. I typically use TMPGEnc 4.0 But I've also tried the DivxPro converter, avidemux and virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  4. are there any "glitches" in the recording ? If there are , you probably have to manually resync in an editor

what does mediainfo say about the lengths of audio & video (view=>text) ? if there are no glitches and it's just a mismatch, you might be able to fix it by stretching/shrinking either the audio or video to match.
    Quote Quote  
  5. mpeg streamclip was very quick but same issue - still out of sync in all the same places

mediainfo

General
    Complete name : E:\SHARE\_PICS\2011.fireworks\DSCN1369.MOV
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 481 MiB
    Duration : 4mn 39s
    Overall bit rate : 14.5 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-02 21:01:56
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-02 21:01:56
    NCDT : NCTG

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 14.3 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.230
    Stream size : 476 MiB (99%)
    Language : English
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 4.24 MiB (1%)
    Language : English
    Material_Duration : 284459
    Material_StreamSize : 4528558

Looks like the duration is the same between audio and video streams. I wonder if QTP can fix this or if I should just manually fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Probably not, I suspect you're looking at a manual fix. QTPro will decode with the same sync issues. If it decodes with the sync issue, the encode is going to have the same sync issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. alrighty - i figured as much well thanks for trying everyone you're input is much appreciated

edit - I used mpeg streamclip to export the orig file to an avi. I then popped the avi into avidemux to set the audio shifts and just save portions of the video (not re-encoding anything) since I had to chunk it up about 6 times with various shifts starting at -1000ms and ending with -4800ms!

so now my question is what is the most efficient way to piece these shifted files together so it won't screw up the audio again in the process?

edit 2 - nvm I guess avidemux can do this I'm looking up how now

thx again everyone - once I get this pieced together I'll post it for your viewing enjoyment
    Last edited by MALIGNITY; 7th Jul 2011 at 10:49. Reason: rtfm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is the finished product. Once I got the audio fixed I appended all the parts into avidemux (superb utility btw) then re-encoded to try and make the filesize smaller. Used 800x600 1000bit rate xvid and got it down to 80mb then threw it up on Youtube for your enjoyment.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zi5gMwdZgo
    Quote Quote