VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,
    I was wonder if there is any bitrate limitation in terms of bitrate for a MKV file burned on DVD, which should be read from a stand alone BluRay player, which is supposed to play MKV file...
    I supposed canonical 10Mbit (like DVD video) would be the answer... Is there any precise number?
    Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps).
    source: http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_speed

the combined bitrate your material needs for playback should be below the speed you want your drive to spin (normally the recommend vbv max fill rate (kbit/s) should be 24 000 for single and 40000 for double drive speed)

-> if you limit you vbv values accordingly 10MBit/s and even higher should not be a problem,..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    40 Mbps is the Blu-ray max bitrate. From 'WHAT IS' Blu-ray to the upper left on this page. Which stand alone BD player do you have? I would check with that manufacturer to see what max MKV bitrate that unit can handle.

The BD discs I've converted to MKV and burned on DVD DL discs for backup seem to max out at about 12Mbps, so that would seem a good number. I couldn't use any higher bitrate as the movie wouldn't fit on DL media unless the playing time was much shorter. My backups are movie only. With extras, the bitrate would be quite a bit lower. The MKV at 12Mbps was 1hr 30 min. If you were using single sided DVD media, the bitrate would likely have to be about half that to fit.
    Quote Quote