VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all

I'm using Divx Plus Coverter 8.0.0.5.4 , The programme i am trying to convert is

Codec Mpeg1/2 video (mpgv) downloaded from a Topfield freeview recorder UK (DVB)
    Res 720 x 576 (PAL)
    Frame rate 50

Now Divx plus wont let me output at the same resolution its automatically puts it to 720 x 405 even if i manually try to to it
    what i'm i doing wrong

Dell Xps M1710
    2 Gb Ram
    120 GB HD
    512mb Nvidia 7950 GTX
    Win XP SP 2
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It resizes it to a 16:9 size/resolution because a 720x576 avi divx with a 16:9 aspect might not work fine on all video players.

But if you really want it 720x576 use something where you have full controll, like virtualdub, under video->compression choose divx codec. And then adjust the aspect ratio in the avi with mpeg4 modifier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You don't have to use Mpeg4Modifier to set the AR -- you can do it in the Divx configuration dialog before compression.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the info

thats really strange as my 32"CRT TV is widescreen and i expected the TV broadcast to be in 16:9.

so was my digital topfield freeview box resolultion of 720 x 576 not 16:9 but 4:3 and that all widescreen broadcasts on BBC channels are really 720 x 405 upscaled to 720 x 576

Update

Try to import the file in VirtualDub, Unsupported file format
    Last edited by zack28; 2nd Jul 2011 at 12:20.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What is the source container?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the file through MediaInfo and post the log file to provide all the details.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    OK here we are

General
    ID : 4156 (0x103C)
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\zack\Desktop\ Games Closing.mpg
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 3.50 GiB
    Duration : 1h 58mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 229 Kbps
    Video
    ID : 201 (0xC9)
    Menu ID : 4220 (0x107C)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID : 2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 762 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    ActiveFormatDescription : Letterbox 16:9 image, with alternative 4:3 center
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.363
    Stream size : 3.12 GiB (89%)
    Audio
    ID : 202 (0xCA)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Codec ID : 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -249ms
    Stream size : 217 MiB (6%)
    Language : English
    Text
    ID : 205 (0xCD)
    Format : DVB Subtitle
    Codec ID : 6
    Delay relative to video : 1s 980ms
    Language : English
    Menu
    ID : 4220 (0x107C)
    List : 201 (0xC9) (MPEG Video) / 202 (0xCA) (MPEG Audio, English) / 205 (0xCD) (DVB Subtitle, English)
    Language : / English / English

also the file is 3.5 GB in size and 1 hr 58 mins long whats the best options to set so that i get a 100% excellent quality conversion using as little space as possible and i don't need the DVB subtitles

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To open this file in Virtualdub use the directshow input plugin:
    http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.8.zip

Extract the *.vdf file and place it into \virtualdub\plugins32 or \virtualdub\plugins64
    depending on what version you're running.
    Quote Quote  
  9. To open MPEG transport stream files in VirtualDub you need to install Haali media splitter and use the DirectShow plugin for VirtualDub. You also need a DirectShow MPEG 2 decoder if you don't already have one. ffdshow will work for that.

That file should have "TS" as the extension, not "MPG". You may need to use the "Files of type" pulldown in VirtualDub's Open File dialog to specify "DirectShow input driver" if you don't change the extension. Otherwise VirtualDub will try to use its internal MPEG 2 program stream source filter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to open this file and demux in ProjectX - this will give you a video and audio track and a subtitle track that you can then remux as a mpg file using MPEGStreamclip for your DivX conversion. Or simply select to PS in ProjectX to make a standard MPEG file. Demux has the advantage of cleaning the file if there are any errors.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Actually, the best way to deal with MPEG 2 video (TS or MPG) in VirtualDub is to build an index with DgIndex. Then open the file via an AviSynth script with Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v", upConv=1, CPU=6).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    So many programs to install just to convert the file

you'd think there would be a one program solution

I'm just sending the file to the trashcan i've had enough, out of sight out of mind

thanks for helping
    Quote Quote  
  13. AviDemux can read MPEG TS files and convert them -- without having to install any other software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AviDemux can read MPEG TS files and convert them -- without having to install any other software.
    This UK TS file is very similar format to what we have in Australia and unfortunately AviDemux doesn't recognise the aspect ratio as 16:9 on these files and compresses to 4:3. He could have simply used MPEGStreamclip to convert it - Also logging in to the Topfield Forum http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 in UK would have sorted him out quick smart.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AviDemux can read MPEG TS files and convert them -- without having to install any other software.
    This UK TS file is very similar format to what we have in Australia and unfortunately AviDemux doesn't recognise the aspect ratio as 16:9 on these files and compresses to 4:3.
    All he has to do is set the aspect ratio in the compression codec settings.
    Quote Quote