VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used DVD shrink for years to back up many of my dvds. Lately, I've noticed a problem with some dvds.
    Let's say I have a two-hour movie. I open the disc in DVD Shrink and the result shows the movie running time is now 4 hours long. It seems to have duplicate twin titles.
    I could re-author and just keep one title but I lose the menus this way.
    I've also use DVD Fab Sometimes I get the same result, but sometimes it doesn't. It must be some kind of copy-right protection.
    Anyway to get around it?
    Anyone know what is happening?
    Last edited by Ronny G; 30th Jun 2011 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it can happen if there is a normal and extended version on the same disc. the only way to copy it completely is to make an iso. otherwise you get one version or the other and no menus.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. And, to add to aedipuss's comments, you can often tell if there's a normal and extended version by the options you are given when you actually *play* the disc and note the root menu.

If you would give examples of the discs, it might shed some additional light on your question.

When you *do* see these "twins," are their running times identical? They wouldn't be, with a normal/extended option (key word: extended).

When these "twins" *are* normal/extended versions, do DVDShrink (due to its age, often chokes on newer protection schemes) or DVDFab (updated regularly) require a severe level of compression such that having both "twins" on the disc is not watchable? Some of the newer schemes give some oddball readings, yet DVDFab (especially) can often decipher them and not require heavy compression.

I've seen some protected non-blu-ray discs claim to require compression down to 5% of the original size because the disc contains 50-70 GB of data, which is an impossibility and is simply the protection scheme misreporting to your computer's ripping software.

DVDFab can often ignore these false readings and go on about its business backing up the disc. Even DVDFab HD Decrypter, which doesn't shrink files, will usually provide an output set of files that DVDShrink can then process to fit on a single-layer disc.

When compression required is too high, the Plan B is double/dual-layer discs if you want menus, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD Recorder discs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. I guess it may just be a protection scheme like you said, Cobra.

It is not an extended version.

Here's a more detailed example with pictures:
    I have an episodic TV show on dvd disc. There are six 25 min. episodes on the disc so the running time is 2hrs 30 min. When I open it in DVD Shrink full disc mode, it says the running time is 5 hours! In re-author mode, there are 12 titles instead of 6. The titles are doubled, each twin has the same 25 min. running time and size.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	full_disc_mode.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	7645Click image for larger version

Name:	reauthor.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	7646
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it can also be caused by simple seamless branching. like some old star wars dvds. the intro was in 2 languages and it was branched, causing all ripping software to think it was twice as big as it really was.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could also be due to the person who authored it being incompetent. Some TV show DVDs are some of the most strangely authored DVDs ever made. But I wouldn't discount the possibility that was it done deliberately this way to mess with shrinking programs and make them compress too much, resulting in bad quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the additional information.

What happens when you do a backup, with compression, to a disc? Specifically, what does DVDFab (or DVDFab HD Decrypter) produce as far as files ready for burning?

Usable? Too compressed? What?

You may find that DVDFab knows what to do with those "twins" and give you what you want/need.

Remember, DVD Shrink, although still very useful at times, hasn't been updated in years and nowadays may not know how to interpret these newer schemes. However, DVDFab/HD Decrypter may know and give you what you need to input into DVD Shrink.

Let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Looks like an incorrect decrypt to me. How'd you get this one onto the hard drive? If DVDFab HD Decrypter, try running it through FixVTS afterwards. If Shrink, go back and start all over again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please help me solve this mystery!
    I'm bumping this thread in the hopes that someone has found an answer.
    I'm still having this problem 3 years later. This is really frustrating me.
    It's not just DVD shrink. I'm also playing a dvd on Windows Media Player.
    The disc has 5 titles, but in the info box, it says there are 10 titles, so it has doubled!
    I personally recorded the disc. There are only 5 titles.
    There are 4 episodic TV shows under 30 minutes each (in SP mode) and one blank title. The total running time is 1 hour 51 minutes, but as you can see in the info box to the right, it says 4 hours 10 min.
    This happens on every disc I play: retail or self-made disc.
    This makes it very difficult to dupe a disc on dvd shrink or decryptor because the output size is always doubled.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	26823
    Quote Quote  
  11. I normally run VOBblanker before Shrink and I haven't had a problem with this. VOBblanker doesn't process multiple angle tracks but it does something similar to fixVTS. I haven't tried fixVTS as Manono suggest, but it would seem to be the solution.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ronnie G:The disc has 5 titles, but in the info box, it says there are 10 titles, so it has doubled!
    Maybe not? The SOFTWARE says it has doubled. Don't overlook the possibility the SOFTWARE is giving you erroneous readings.

If you burned your own disc to a SL disc, with the max capacity being ~4.7 gb, and the SOFTWARE says it's twice that (which is impossible), 'tis the software giving you a bogus reading.

I sometimes record TV shows to DVD-RW, which gives me a DVD-VR disc, and then convert to a standard disc in DVDShrink via Re-Author. DVD Shrink always shows what I recorded as two separate recordings, same size, same length (far in excess of the capacity of the disc). Yet, I know that's not true. I just drag-and-drop one of the two and make my DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few disks have 'multiple' copies of the main movie, (re-authored). They have 'angle one' and 'angle two' options also. & standard plus widescreen

Some now 'show' up to 60 gigs on one dvd. ('Tin Tin' is one). slysoft finds the actual 'proper' titleset to rip.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote