VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried multiple times to do the multi region hack for this player as described here https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-bd-d5500/11406

The OP says to start the key entry just after the NO DISC text appears and complete the process before it disappears. The problem is the text is on for so quick it does not give me a chance to complete the key entry. Tried several times.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that Samsung and Sony BD and DVD players are among the MOST DIFFICULT in the world to unlock. You don't say where you live, but you should be aware that we have only had a report on one model (sorry, but I don't remember which) of BD player sold in the USA and Canada that could be unlocked.

The unlock instructions may not work any more due to hardware changes by the manufacturer. Or it could only work on models sold in another part of the world and not where you live. The only other Samsung players we've ever heard of that can be unlocked are sold in Australia. I've never heard of the issue you are describing. That is, nobody who's ever reported unlocking a Samsung has reported it. So it may never unlock for you. Just be aware that the odds are against you, but there's no harm in asking in case someone does know something that can help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Actually I just got the hack to work by following the instructions for a different model. All good and now region free. I have updated the original hack entry with the sequence I used. For those interested go here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-bd-d5500/11406#31568
    FYI am in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for updating the hack entry. We do sincerely appreciate that.

I hope you realize how very lucky you are that you were able to get it to work because most of the "I need to unlock my Sony/Samsung" posts don't have happy endings. I have a Samsung LCD HDTV and I'd buy another one in a minute but you'd have to give me one of their DVD or BD players for free before I'd take it. In the case of Sony I think you'd actually have to pay me to take it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have tried BD-D5500 hack on my new box with 00125A remote. It does not work, guys. Any idea how to work it around?
    Last edited by varera; 23rd Jan 2012 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Actually the problem is more likely one of timing. I tried the BD-D5500 hack quite a number of times without success, but once I got the timing right it worked fine. So the instructions are good.

It appears that you need to start the input AS SOON AS you see the 'NO DISC' message on the screen. You need to be ready with yours fingers to key in the code - quickly and positively without hesitation or 'checking'. You will only BRIEFLY see the current region code displayed in a window in the top right hand area of the screen. You must immediately key in the unlock code e.g. '9'. If successful you will SEE the code changed in the display window in the top right hand side of your screen (will now show '9' instead of the former region). If you don't see the change you were unsuccessful or too slow. Try again.

You are then good to power cycle.

Timing could well be the issue with many unlocks that are initially unsuccessful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redler View Post
    Actually the problem is more likely one of timing. I tried the BD-D5500 hack quite a number of times without success, but once I got the timing right it worked fine. So the instructions are good.
    Timing could well be the issue with many unlocks that are initially unsuccessful.
    Have you actually tried that with the new European remote? It seems to be the problem. Trust me, I have spent considerable amount of time trying to make it work. Others also report issues with the new remote unit on European model.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are 2 things to keep in mind.
    1) "Works in Australia" doesn't mean "Works everywhere else". Things ARE different in Australia. We've had reports of various models that can only be unlocked if they are sold in Australia.
    2) Having to enter codes quickly is not an issue with other manufacturers and the unlock codes will work fine no matter how quickly or slowly they are entered.
    Quote Quote  
  9. well, the difference is in the software. there are reported unlocks in Europe with this technique. I guess the issue I have is related to firmware in use and/or remote control which is renewed now.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, you could well be right, I should have qualified my comments more carefully. It seems to work fine in AUS. But timing is DEFINITELY an issue with this model - there must be a timeout since it will consistently not work if you are slow during input and consistently work fine if you get it right. This is the main point I wanted to raise since many people could be 'giving up' thinking the hack doesn't work when it is actually a timing issue. I know I nearly did & I'm glad I kept trying. If you have different remotes then true it might not work for you - but we also have the 00125A model. What firmware are you on in Europe?

BTW, am I right in assuming that this hack is only related to the unlocking of the DVD regions (not Blu-Ray)?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redler View Post
    BTW, am I right in assuming that this hack is only related to the unlocking of the DVD regions (not Blu-Ray)?
    Everywhere else in the world that hack would definitely mean "only unlocks region free DVD playback" but things may be different in Australia. We've heard that you've got some kind of law that requires players to be unlockable so if that covers BluRay playback too then maybe you'll get region free BluRay playback too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    We've heard that you've got some kind of law that requires players to be unlockable so if that covers BluRay playback too then maybe you'll get region free BluRay playback too.
    Thanks jman98,

I hope you're right, that would be great. I'll have to find a region (A) Blu-Ray and try it out... Will post if I can confirm.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently purchased HT-D5500 Home Ttheater in US. Is there any region hack for this?? if so can someone please post the steps. I have followed the steps that are mentioned above for region free using my HT-D5300 remote for HT-D550 player where there is REPEAT key, but no luck. For me the NO DISC message appears even after the press the hack code. After pressing 2 9 3 3 4 keys also NO DISC still appears. Can some one please shred soem light. Appreciate your help
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mrk79 View Post
    I have recently purchased HT-D5500 Home Ttheater in US. Is there any region hack for this?? if so can someone please post the steps. I have followed the steps that are mentioned above for region free using my HT-D5300 remote for HT-D550 player where there is REPEAT key, but no luck. For me the NO DISC message appears even after the press the hack code. After pressing 2 9 3 3 4 keys also NO DISC still appears. Can some one please shred soem light. Appreciate your help
    Howdy,

I don't think that hack will work for you (above) - it only applies to the BD-5500 and only appears to work in AUS mainly. In any case, the hack only makes the player region free with respect to DVD playback (i.e. regions 1 to 6), not Blu-Ray. There doesn't seem to be a way of unlocking the Blu-Ray regions (A/B/C). Mostly doesn't matter anyhow since nearly all the Blu-Rays I've seen are either already region free, or will work in other regions even if specifically made for one market. There is a place you can check for compatibility of Blu-Rays: http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Good luck on your mission...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    mrk79 - If you live in the USA and Canada and want a region free player, do NOT buy Samsung or Sony. It really is that simple.

Many BluRays released in the USA are region locked to region A. In region B most BluRays are not region locked, but I have some examples of region B only BluRay discs (I have a Momitsu region free BluRay player). It depends on what your interests are. The more you are interested in Hollywood movies, the more likely they are to be region locked. Some films are region locked simply because the licensees are different in each region and each licensee is only supposed to sell BluRays in their own region. One example of this would be the most recent Metropolis restoration BluRay where the region A and B licensees are different and each one locked the BluRay release in their own regions (the releases do not have the same extra features).

Typically BluRay players require special hardware to switch between different regions. It's a little different from how DVD regions are handled. Many sellers will modify the hardware for you prior to selling but a few models have hardware you can buy and do the mod yourself if you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Success.

The following was successful on the first attempt for a region 2 player which had version 1028 firmware.

First used the firmware downgrade on the SamyGo forum to downgrade to firmware 1015.

Then follow the instructions for the region hack.

So far everything seems to be working fine.
    Quote Quote