VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, everyone.

As the title suggests I'm using mkvtoolnix to add a .idx/.sub to my MKV file container, as it's the only way I can get the .sub to play on my Samsung TV (at least, I hope that'll play them). Anyway, my question is: is it possible to simply add the subs to the container and "mux" it without having to make a brand new copy of the MKV file?

The problem is, if the file is already, say, 12GB, you need another 12GB free for the new copy with the added subs. It can take a while on external HD's and such as well.

I've tried several times to do just that (overwrite existing copy, append file instead of add, etc) but couldn't get it to work.

If it is impossible, can anybody say why, as I'm curious.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. is it possible to simply add the subs to the container and "mux" it without having to make a brand new copy of the MKV file?
    Nope, there's no tool that allows 'in-place' modification of mkv tools.

If it is impossible, can anybody say why, as I'm curious.
    It's not impossible to write an application that can to 'in-place' modifications, but it's really complicated and I doubt any one is writing such an application in the near future. If you want a more detailed explanation why it's complicated, you should read the mkv specs and think on how it could be done,...

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote