VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I have an mkv that I want to add an srt file too. In mkvmergeGUI I put the two files in the input, hit start muxing, it processes for 20 min or so, and then I have the new file. I play it in media player classic (newest), but there are no subs. The subtitle options aren't even active. The only way I can get them to work is to manually load them each time I play the video.

Forum search has led to suggestions such as enabling them in mp classic (they're greyed out until I load an srt file manually), and enabling in haali media splitter's options (but there is no icon for it in the taskbar, it's on my computer but I don't think I'm using it anymore.)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by chibaking; 29th Jun 2011 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. install directvobsub or use a different player e.g. kmplayer or vlc

(this is called soft subbing ,not hard subbing by the way. Hard subbing refers to when the subs are encoded into the video, permanently. Soft subs are removable, and you can toggle them on/off)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 29th Jun 2011 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I installed directvobsub, restarted, remuxed the files, and got the same result. No subtitle options at all, unless I manually load the .srt file while the movie is running.

I really don't want to use another player, because I use mpclassic for everything else, and I know it's capable of what I'm trying to do.

Should directvobsub show up in the Play->Filters: menu? It does not.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. if you don't see haali media splitter icon, when mkv is playing, you are probably using a different splitter that doesn't support subs correctly

reinstall haali media splitter

you don't have to remux the files, only the 1st time
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Re-installed newest version of Haali, I clicked the box during install that says "disable internal MPC splitter".

Still no icon in the taskbar.
    Quote Quote  
  6. you have to fix your directshow filters , that's the problem with mpc - it relies on directshow. Different systems that have different configurations will work inconsistently

use graphstudio (render the file in graphstudio and examine the filters chain used) and preferred filter tweaker if you are on win7 . Other wise you can use radlight filter manager to enable /disable and increase the merit of filters

once you have haali enabled, in the configuration , make sure autoload vsfilter is enabled
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I suppose I'm supposed to be looking at the graph construction report???

All the filters you mentioned are running.

This is a little beyond me, I think I will just have to load them manually when I want to watch it

In the tweaker do I want to set it from Microsoft to ffdshow or Divx-h.264?
    Quote Quote  
  8. so when you render it the haali icon pops up ?

right click the 1st box and look at the properties, does it say haali ?

in the tweaker set ffdshow

if it's too complicated, try using a different player...

you can try installing a codec pack, like k-lite or cccp, they will try to fix all the settings for you automatically - but be warned they can sometimes cause more problems
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    well either way I tried all the options and none of them made haali show up in the taskbar.

I went into haali options from program files to make sure the icon was turned on, and it is.

No, haali doesn't show up when I use the graph studio, I'm sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    ok, I installed vlc to try it. Still no haali in the taskbar, but the subtitles are working. The only problem is that playback is very choppy every 5-10 seconds. Pretty sure it is why I never used it in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  11. what are your system specs ?

vlc doesn't need haali, because it's not directshow based (that's why subs work without haali or vsfilter/directvobsub)

If you can't get directshow configured, you can try kmplayer or one of the codec packs mentioned above (warning again: they can cause potential issues)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    ok, well idk if installing vlc and setting up in there did it, or if it just took a couple restarts of mpc to get everything to click, but they seem to be working now with the subs that came in the file I'm going to remux with the other subs again to make sure (I keep remuxing to a new file because I don't want to overwrite the original, and then I delete it when it doesn't work (if you haven't been able to tell yet I don't know what I'm doing.)

amd X2 3.0ghz
    3gb ram
    2x nV 9600

edit: it works. I will shrug and consider it a victory, I think the filter tweaker is what did it. Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by chibaking; 29th Jun 2011 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
  13. so what did you do to get it working? so others who have similar problems can get help
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure which part fixed my problem, but here is my steps:

Installed directvobsub.
    Re-installed haali media splitter
    Ran graphstudio to see that I was using Direct Show
    used preferred filter tweaker to change to ffdshow
    ran the file in VLC
    remuxed the srt and the mkv again
    poof, worked in mpc.

edit: just now noticing that the haali icon is still not there, even tho the subs are working... so idk lol.
    Quote Quote