VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burned a dvd for the very first time using DVD shrink and DVD Decrypter. It's amazing that I finally figured out how to do this, and I was elated - only to put it in my DVD player (SONY DVP NS300) and get a "disk is dirty" msg. It won't play! It plays just fine in my desktop computer and on my laptop, but not in the DVD player where I need it to work. I burned it on the default settings (max speed) if that's relevant, and I burned it onto a blank DVD+R because DVD Decrypter wouldn't work on the DVD-RW disk I originally tried. Pls help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can't say I've ever heard of that error message, but then again this is Sony. Do yourself a favor and next time DO NOT BUY SONY!

Anyway, all the media sold in the USA is crap except for Verbatim (avoid their cheap Life series but everything else is fine) and Taiyo Yuden. Since we don't know what you used and it's probably not those, burn to another disc but at a much slower speed. Burn no faster than 4x. You may have better luck burning crap discs at a lower speed.

You really should be using ImgBurn to burn with. It's by the guy who wrote DVD Decrypter and it gets updated. DVD Decrypter does not get updated due the author being forced to abandon it in a legal settlement. You can burn DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs with DVD Decrypter and ImgBurn but they take quite a while to erase first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    How old is your DVD player?

The reason I ask is the 4th post in this thread from 2003 talks about the same problem. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/83473-Sony-DVP-NS300-DVD-R-problems

There was a time when it wasn't uncommon to try different media till you found a brand that worked with your DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ T_Jet
    WOW!!!
    If his player is that old, i am amazed it still works!!
    But definitely time for a new one!!
    LOL!!

I checked Ebay and they are 40.00 tops!!
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=SONY%20DVP%20NS300&_dmpt=DVD_Playe...=p3286.c0.m283

And as jman98 stated,
    I can't say I've ever heard of that error message, but then again this is Sony. Do yourself a favor and next time DO NOT BUY SONY!
    I know I have seen that error before, but it has been so long i could not give you specifics, and i would definitely buy ANYTHING other than a $ONY!!

You can burn DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs with DVD Decrypter and ImgBurn but they take quite a while to erase first.
    I don't remember if I ever used DVD Decrypter for RW's, I am pretty sure i have but it's been a long time, but all the years i have used ImgBurn it has only taken a long time the first time i have used brand new DVD RW's as it has has to format them, i believe ImgBurn say's "erase" them even though they are being formatted for the first use.

After that you do not need to "erase" them, i just pop them in and it say's (not verbatim) any current files will be erased, and it instantly starts burning the new files to the RW.

I also would not burn at max speed of the disc's, regardless of what anyone say's.
    Half speed at best.
    And if really crappy media (although we don't know what you are using) like jman98 said, 4x
    Quote Quote  
  5. Somehow I knew this one would get one of the replies it got. T_Jet is close to my thought. I've seen all four possible DVD players..
    What do I mean by that you ask. Simple and possibly the answer to your problem.
    1 - Player only plays commercially produced DVDs. No recordable media at all.
    2 - Will play DVDs recorded on -R only (and commercially produced <G>)
    3 - Same as 2, but +R.
    4 - Like DOUG FM here in Detroit, it plays everything. Some even do DVD-RAM, which I consider more useful than RW. My Panasonic for example plays everything.

So that Sony player might simply not play +R recordable media. Not all that uncommon.
    Try using -R and see what happens.
    BTW - There is good and bad media for most brands. ImgBurn will tell you who really made the disk.
    Its potluck though I've not run into any really crappy disks here (Detroit, MI - USA) <G>
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm.... yeah
    Quote Quote  
  7. Personally, I would use IMGBurn at max speed. So far, I've not had any problems with my Sony player not being able to read the dvd's that I've burned (except one recently, although it was pretty scratched before I even put it into my drive. I wish I'd known that before I used it). However, one thing that might help with crappy media (honestly, that's all I buy. So far I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually ), is if you activate the "Perform OPC Before Write" option, which should be in the "write" tab.

It looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Demo.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	7616

Basically, what it does is calibrate you CD drive's burning laser, and decides how much power to use. I assume that too much power can screw the disk up, while too little power will result in nothing being written. From what I gather, this option can be a great asset with low-quality media. I have yet to find any reason to not use this, aside from that fact that it adds 3-5 seconds of burning time (while possibly saving time latter). Why this option isn't enabled by default is beyond me.
    Last edited by TSJNachos; 28th Jun 2011 at 23:25.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's true that most players built before 2004 can't read DVD+R, but your Sony is reported by other users to be able to. It might just need a cleaning, but DVD players are so cheap and better now, you should just look for a new one and get one with a USB port.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Re. my SONY DVD player, I didn’t buy it, so I don’t actually know how old it is. It was given to me by someone when they bought a new one. Up until 2 months ago, I’d never owned or operated a DVD player, so I knew nothing about brands. Anyway, the update is that I tried to play my burned DVD again, and to my amazement, it actually started to play – then froze on the FBI warning. (Is that a sign?) I then played a store-bought DVD for several mins. and then reinserted my burned DVD, and it played just fine except for minor freezing here and there. I did this experiment again this morning w/ the same results. Who knew? It seems that playing a legit DVD for a little while first gets the kinks out for the burned DVD to play.
    However, since my DVD player is problematic anyway (i.e., freezes, skips, spontaneously jumps back 2-5 chapters while I’m watching standard movies), I eventually want to replace it? Any recommendations on good brands (eg. Ones that are problem free)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sounds like the problem is just a dirty laser lens. As for a player recommendation, Panasonics seem to be the best, they play just about anything your throw at them and if there's a bit of readable data left, they'll play it. As for playing burnt DVD problem free, it all starts with good media (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and they last longer) and burning at 4x (some burner and disc combinations won't go that low, so you have to use the next lowest speed).
    Quote Quote