VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

As a lot of you probably know, you can use the MediaInfo program to view certain things about a selected video or audio file.
    It will list a whole host of different things like the codec used to encode the file, the bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate and the like.

I would like to sort my files by the details MediaInfo gives you. As you see, you can only view one file at once and this gives you the problem of having to click through many files to find the codec of each one.

You may want to be able to bring the 'details view' up in a video folder then only to find you cannot sort (using the details tabs at the top of the screen) by codec and such. I would try to find video codec, or codec on a very long list of things to sort files by but there isn't any detail you can use for this.

You may want to use something like this to sort your video files by codec so you can easily select all the Xvid encoded files because you are converting all your files to one particular codec, say h.264. This may be done to save space on your HDD as it has greater video compression than other codecs without removing too much fine detail. (I use MeGUI for conversion btw). After manually selecting a few files and converting them using the setting I like I worked out if I managed to convert all my files to h.264 then I will have over 100GBs more space. As you see I have many video files of large size of older codecs/formats taking up more space than neccesary.

Simply put, I want to know how to order/sort/filter my video files by video-codec.

I know this message is long I just wanted to get the full thing across so you guys shouldnt need to know anything else :P

Thanks for reading
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about view -> choose details and tick the codec box
    Quote Quote  
  3. As I said above. It doesn't exist! Is there a way to add more of these filters?
    or perhaps a simple way to sort files by video codec?

You would need to be able to see "video codec" in the details view of the video folder. There isn't one as this present moment.

So how would someone know what codec a video file is using without having to click each one and go through MediaInfo?
    Quote Quote