VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a video file and I want to separate the left/right audio; I've had a look around for all I find is expensive programs. Is there anything that can do this for free?

Doesn't matter if the program is a trial, as long as it will do what I want to do without limitations.

Thanks very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You musn't have looked very hard. You can do it with several(not one) freebie programs. It will require some thought and maybe even some reading. Are you up for it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audacity. If you add the ffmpeg plugin you can import the audio directly from the video file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Jagabo.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You musn't have looked very hard. You can do it with several(not one) freebie programs. It will require some thought and maybe even some reading. Are you up for it?
    No need to be a jerk about it. I actually did look around a bit; I googled people that were looking for similar things and as I said all I found was people talking about expensive programs (Logic Pro, SoundForge & Sonar) and then also looked on download.com, but that wasn't that helpful.. so I came here. Is that acceptable to you?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Audacity. If you add the ffmpeg plugin you can import the audio directly from the video file.
    I was looking for the ffmpeg plugin and found the page but it just says this:

Libraries

At present, the only library you can add to the 1.2 version of Audacity is the LAME MP3 encoding library. This allows Audacity to export audio in the popular MP3 format. To install the LAME library, please read our LAME FAQ.
    In addition to supporting LAME, the Beta 1.3 version of Audacity has experimental support for the FFmpeg import/export library. This allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files. To install the FFmpeg library, please read our FFmpeg FAQ. The next 2.0 Stable version of Audacity is expected to support the FFmpeg library.

So I just need to install the ffmpeg library?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by gutterboy View Post
    So I just need to install the ffmpeg library?
    If you want to import the audio directly from the video file, yes. All you have to do is put the ffmpeg.exe file in the audacity folder and then tell it where the file is. Edit -> Preferences -> Libraries -> ffmpeg import/export...

Otherwise you'll have to use some other software to demux and decompress the audio from the video file.

Then you import the audio with File -> Import -> Audio, split the stereo track into two mono tracks, and export in whatever format you want.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	split.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	7587
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jun 2011 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Great. Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gutterboy View Post
    No need to be a jerk about it.
    Actually I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I thought you were looking for a one-click type of deal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Actually I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I thought you were looking for a one-click type of deal.
    Ok, no problems.... your post just came across as a bit patronizing. If it wasn't meant in that way, then I apologize.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, no problems.... your post just came across as a bit patronizing. If it wasn't meant in that way, then I apologize.
    Me too. After re-reading that....it did come off jerk-like. Never change thoughts mid-stream....especially when you reach my age.
    Quote Quote