VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm using a package to copy my VHS tapes to my computer. This package write the files as VOB.

These VOB files are sometimes large (8GB) and I'm trying to convert them in a small file size eg FLV using Avanti. Can anyone suggest what the best setting are to convert them with out losing any quality over the orginal VHS tape?

I'm wanting to endup with as small a file size as possible without loss of quality over the orginal VHS tape copy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Avanti doesn't include many ready to use templates. They are meant as examples but I would try the "PS3 / h264 720x576 (extended tweaking)" template.

After loading it set the "Container" field to "flv". Set the DAR according to your source and adapt the bitrate a bit. It's by default set to 2050 kbps but you can lower it and do some test encoding to see what's acceptable.

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've started converting my VHS collection to FLV - I'm using Avanti 0.59 with a sherpay
    git-N-30172-g3c20c0e FFmpeg this works OK. However I'm getting noise and blockiness on some of the converted files. Can anyone suggest how I tweak this. I've tried other package like Movavi movie enhancer but the trial has run out and I'm unable to get any further with this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Look at the tools section https://www.videohelp.com/tools at "Video Encoders".

There are a lot of free converters to try. Can't give any advice on them but others may.
    Quote Quote