VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I have looked here and the net and have found nothing ...

Q1: Is there a MKV Tag Editor? Kind of like AVI Tag Editor application? A dummy-proof GUI!

I have a MKV File that File Name and the Name displayed when the MKV file is viewed Do Not match!

Q2: How can I change the Name displayed when viewing the MKV file to Match the MKV File name? Which is btw correct.

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you change some names with mkvmergegui? Included in mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your reply. May be I haven't looked close enough ... but I can't see anything in MKVMergeGUI ... that does a Simple Name Change ... you know like in AVITag Editors ...

Appreciate your Help as usual!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I know this thread is kinda old, but I was searching for this same thing, and came up with nothing. And then (as it happens a lot with me), I stumbled upon a quick fix. If I understood the question right, the question was how to change the name displayed when you first launch the .mkv file. If so, here's the fix:

In MkvMerge (aka MkvToolnix or whatever you call it) you can fix that.
    Open file (add) --> go to the tab "Global", there under "File/Segment title:" type whatever you want.
    Remux.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi ma-fia,

Appreciate posting your findings. I should have known better to second guess Baldrick, if he says it is there ... then it must be there!

Thanks again for your step-by-step Solution post.

G!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looking for the same thing w/o remuxing. It is easy enough for single titles using the tool supplied with MKVToolNix called mkvpropedit.

It's very quick and allows you to edit most any property, but is command line driven and cumbersome for me at least. What I am looking for is a front-end to this tool that would allow batch processing so you could format an entire series of files in one go. An MP3TagEdit for Matroska if you will. Then you could set up filters and regex to extrapolate titles from the file names and even set auto numbering sequences for episodes and seasons, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have the skill-set to accomplish this task myself, but hope someone will in the future. It would really benefit the format to have an extensive yet easy to use tag editor. Until then I'll just be a hunt & peck CLI monkey. =P Still better than remuxing everything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by akovia View Post
    Looking for the same thing w/o remuxing. It is easy enough for single titles using the tool supplied with MKVToolNix called mkvpropedit.

It's very quick and allows you to edit most any property, but is command line driven and cumbersome for me at least. What I am looking for is a front-end to this tool that would allow batch processing so you could format an entire series of files in one go. An MP3TagEdit for Matroska if you will. Then you could set up filters and regex to extrapolate titles from the file names and even set auto numbering sequences for episodes and seasons, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have the skill-set to accomplish this task myself, but hope someone will in the future. It would really benefit the format to have an extensive yet easy to use tag editor. Until then I'll just be a hunt & peck CLI monkey. =P Still better than remuxing everything.
    Get mkvtoolnix (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/).

Launch "mkvmerge GUI" from the Start menu. Open Header Editor from the File menu (or ctrl-e). Open your mkv file in the header editor and you can view/edit most if not all tags directly. Don't forget to do a save on the file after editing.

To view and save the tag info to a text file from a GUI, use "mkvinfo GUI" from the Start menu.

To view and save the tag info to a text file from a command line, use mkvinfo.exe (located with all the other tools eg "c:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix").

Example of viewing tags:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix\mkvinfo.exe myfile.mkv

Example of saving tag listing to a text file:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix\mkvinfo.exe -r c:\outputfile.txt myfile.mkv

To edit the tags from a command line, use "mkvpropedit.exe" (located in the same directory with all the other tools). You could use mkvpropedit to bulk-edit your tags across a bunch of files by writing a windows batch file to loop over the files and call mkvpropedit on each file. Note: mkvpropedit does NOT read the existing tags, instead use mkvinfo for reading the tags.

Documentation:
    mkvpropedit: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvpropedit.html
    mkvinfo: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvinfo.html

I haven't written any batch files yet so I can't share anything. But hopefully this info will help anyone trying to view and edit the tags/properties in their mkv files.

If anyone writes any batch files or scripts, please share here

Update:
    My bad ... what I was describing above was NOT tags ... they are in fact called "fields" or "properties" from the file/track headers. This is still useful if you want to say, set the default audio track to be played or even disable a track (without having to delete it).

For tag viewing/editing, I found this useful posting ...

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326119-%5BSOLVED%5D-How-to-tag-an-mkv-mka-file
    Last edited by toby9999; 9th Feb 2012 at 03:55. Reason: I messed up!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the descriptive reply Toby.

I ended up researching even further after posting here and ended up discovering how to edit "Tags" with MKVToolNix as well. It is much easier than using mkvpropedit for me at least and is my preferred method until something else comes along.

I did consider the possibility of scripting, (bash in my case as I'm using ubuntu) but I think it would be beyond my abilities for the functionality I'm looking for. I did make a plea to the developer of mkvpropedit to consider developing a GUI for his tool, but he replied that is is not interested in GUI programming.

Last comments at end of the page

I also made pleas to the developers of mp3Tag, and PuddleTag. The best tagging programs out there for Windows and Linux respectively. Only the developer of PuddleTag responded saying he would consider it for the future. All that's left to do is make a plea to the community to show support for this functionality by letting the developers know that there is a real need out there.

If anyone wants to help with this, you can show you support by making a post in the following threads at
    MP3TAG
    and or
    PuddleTag

I feel the Matroska format will eventually give way to mp4 if someone doesn't address "Tagging". Managing large media collections is nearly impossible otherwise. I for one like Matroska and don't look forward to the prospect of converting all my video media to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Woot!

Looks like someone took the plunge and made a cross-platform batch mkv property editor GUI!. I haven't had time to put it through its paces yet, but it seems promising. It has support for auto numbering episodes which will save me an absurd amount of time. I'll try to post again after I've properly interrogated it, but I think it will be fine.

JMkvpropedit
    Quote Quote  
  10. This is a viscous circle.
    Yet another GUI?
    Read one article that said to use VLC media info. Changes are not permanent.
    Even d/l the ALL-WIN shell-ext from matroska themselves and no go.
    Such a little thing, why so difficult?
    I can even edit tags in an AVI.
    Even MP4 is tough to find.
    And it looks like google is turning spam as promised, sends you to all these BS d/l sites of unrelated and non-existant software and of course they are ones google won't let you block
    Always found the answer here, never had to have an account before.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    If you want a quick way of batch processing all MKV files in a directory, setting the MKV title to the filename, then install mkvtoolnix and then create a batch script such as:

echo ***** Starting MKVtitle *****
    for %%m in (*.mkv) do (
    echo Changing %%m Title to "%%~nm"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit" "%%m" -e info -s title="%%~nm"
    echo -----
    )
    echo ***** Finished *****
    Quote Quote  
  12. I gave up on a GUI myself as it was still too cumbersome.

Here's a script I made for the unix crowd. I have it set as a custom action in Thunar so I can r-click a single or multiple mkvs and apply it. Never looked back after doing it this way.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    #Script to set MKV Title Property based on filename
    #

#Close stdin - avoid accidental keypresses causing problems
    exec 0>&-

# Find MKV files
    for file in "$@";
    do
      find "$file" -type f -not -name ".*" | grep .mkv$ | while read file
      do