VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The title basically says it all.

I use Microsoft Expression Encoder to encode MKV files to WMV-HD files. I've been having problems, though, and was told by support that Expression doesn't support two-pass encoding with AC3Filter and to find another decoder. I can't find one, at least that works. I'm not even very good with this stuff, either, so I don't know exactly WHAT I'm looking for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to change encoding programs, either, just find another decoder.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall Ac3filter and try FFDshow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did that earlier, didn't work. At least not right away. Never used ffdshow so not sure if there are any settings I need to fool around with. Whenever I load an AC3-containing MKV into Expression, it was "Error: audio codec not present" or something of that nature. It doesn't do that with AC3Filter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you access the FFDshow audio decoder config? Select codec (top left), select ac3 and set the decoder to liba52.
    Also on the left, select "mixer" and check the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'll try it again.

Uninstalled AC3Filter, installing ffdshow. For the install options, I chose only to install the default VFW interface that it has ticked, and left out DXVA video decoder, Avisynth scripts and Application plugins. And then I left "Additional tasks" as default. Post-install audio config has everything taken care of that you mentioned.

Annnd... it didn't work. Same thing, Expression says an audio codec is missing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What audio format are you creating within the WMV file? (some windows media format?) Mixed down to 2-channel stereo?

If you can't get expression to decode the source properly, can't you demux the original audio and feed that to the encoder
    separately? Or decode the video only and add the audio after. (I'm not familiar with Eexpression although I did once try the
    crippled demo version)

According the Wikipedia page, Expression should use the directshow decoder if it's available, not sure why it's not working.
    EDIT - something occurred to me, do you have the Haali media splitter installed along with FFDshow?
    You can check that dshow playback is working properly for you source my opening GraphStudio
    and rendering the source file.
    Last edited by davexnet; 23rd Jun 2011 at 20:08.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Apparently there's a bug or something. It doesn't work with AC3Filter but DOES work with THEIR AC3 decoder that's available in the $300 Pro version.

And you can't do any demuxing-remuxing/separate streams. I want to just encode my MKV into 5.1 channel surround sound. WMV contains Windows Media Audio for the audio.

The only problem is that apparently I just need a different directshow AC3 decoder as AC3Filter doesn't work. Again, apparently. This is starting to tick me off and is very quickly turning into nonsense.

I've also been playing around with the idea of converting the audio to another 5.1 source and muxing that in externally. But I wouldn't know what audio files would be the best for that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check to see whether the source file opens and plays properly with Graphstudio?
    That would at least tell you your Directshow system (codecs and registry) is working OK.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/GraphStudio.

Are you using a 64 bit OS?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Somewhat fixed the problem.

Forgot I had downloaded ffdshow x64 and Encoder is only x86. Installed ffdshow x86 and it's recognizing AC3 audio now. Bad news is that it's still wonky and I get errors two-passing anything with AC3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see what you mean - 64 bit OS has become such an issue for precisely this reason. Often it's not mentioned,
    and the respondent often forgets to ask until other things have been tried, and then perhaps a little light goes on
    in somebody's head!

You still didn't mention what format the encoder is turning the audio into - 6 channel Windows media audio? Stereo ?
    Are you using the free edition, version 4 sp1 ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Free edition, version 4 SP1. It doesn't say exactly what it turns it into as it's strictly an X-to-WMV Microsoft-made encoder. Audio output is set to "WMA Professional", though. The source audio is 5.1 channel and that's also what I output it as. That's about as much info as this program gives me. I believe it is WMA9, though. I believe that's the most recent.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you set FFDshow/ audio config/mixer to 2/0/0 output ? This will provide 2-channel to the encoder.
    Not sure if it will help, but worth a try. I might install it myself and have a look sometime tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Things seem to be working at least a bit better now, might have a solution. Also, I was able to convert an MKV file with DTS audio in it without any problems.

The only current downside is that it looks like I can only encode the audio with 1-pass. I'll have to have a listen to see if this is gonna be noticeable or not, but things are looking up.

As for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind if/when I hit another wall. Unless you're suggesting I migrate to 2-channel audio, because if so that's not something I'm willing to do.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CasanovaFly View Post

As for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind if/when I hit another wall. Unless you're suggesting I migrate to 2-channel audio, because if so that's not something I'm willing to do.
    Not at all. I was just working under the assumption that the Windows Media file only supported 2 channels.
    I mentioned it earlier, neither of us knew for sure. (Since you've been playing with it, do you know the definitive
    answer now?)

My idea was to enable 2/0/0 temporarily while doing the encode, assuming the output only supported stereo

How was the quality of the encode compared to the original? Did you encode to the same HD resolution?
    Last edited by davexnet; 25th Jun 2011 at 00:54.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Oh, no. WMA supports 5.1. Heck, even 7.1 from what Expression tells me.

I just ran a bevy of tests with audio, and it seems that I can do CBR or VBR for audio, with few hitches. Ran into a couple problems, but I don't think they're codec/decoder related and have been solved. That was with AC3 audio.

I'm now going to test DTS audio, to see if that will work. I encoded one DTS MKV and it went fine. Gonna run it through the same series of test encodes to see what comes up and what I can do. If I can stick with just DTS that would be magnificent.

Gonna nail the audio down first, then move to video. I go with source resolution of the files, preferrably 720p because it scales well to full screen and I get more kbps per pixel. I tried 1080p, but I want files around 3GB in size for storage purposes and it just doesn't get the kbps it needs. Noticed the 720p is much sharper than 1080p when stretched onto my TV. As for quality compared to original, trying to get it pretty close. I originally wanted to get rid of the pixellation/blocky bits I'd get from my low bitrates, but I was using CBR, so I think VBR may be my cure. Trying to get it close, but I'm willing to sacrifice some quality to cut the file size in half.

It's all a work in progress though, so we'll have to see.

Thanks again for all your help, can't say it enough.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome. I must ask though, what media player are you using, where WM is the format of choice?
    Not so common on these forums.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Streamed to Xbox 360. WMV is mostly just a preference to keep things running smoothly and Windows likes the files. Apparently nobody/nothing else does though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thought I was on to something, totally proved wrong.

Back to square one. All I know now is that I need a non-DirectShow-based AC3/DTS decoder, if they even exist.
    Quote Quote