VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a software, Ripit, on a DVD. Usually I'm used to getting a TS file.
    I chose this time to compress and rip, (instead of going through popcorn)

This time it gave me a huge 6gb DVD media player document, and also a small .m4v which is 2GB so I'm totally confused. And the .m4v says protected which defeats the purpose of the software.

What are these files? How would one deal with them with Toast. thanks!

PS When did toast 11 come out? and when is Toast 12 projected to come out. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    .m4v info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4V More often associated with iTunes and DRM protection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so it wont burn into a DVD, and it has copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you at least get it to play? try changing the extension to .mp4 anyway? perhaps a screen cap would suffice
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Handbrake and make sure VLC is also installed in the Applications folder. Handbrake uses VLC's presence to handle the decryption chores.
    Quote Quote  
  6. is there an easy way to re-encode an itunes video file so that you lose very little quality?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc View Post
    is there an easy way to re-encode an itunes video file so that you lose very little quality?
    Yes. But re-encode into what?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc View Post
    is there an easy way to re-encode an itunes video file so that you lose very little quality?
    Yes. But re-encode into what?
    Burn onto Blu-ray or DVD. So MPEG2 or TS.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, MPEG2 (for DVD SDTV) is lower quality than MPEG4. If the MPEG4 (which is from iTunes) isn't copy-protected (and the ".m4v" doesn't necessarily mean there's DRM even if a "get info" says it's a copy-protected file; sometimes simply changing the extension to "mp4" is fine), authoring it to BluRay requires the appropriate software and hardware (a BR burner and Toast with the optional add-ons or some other app). But the quality of the iTunes video won't be any better than what it is right now.

Instead of authoring/burning to a disc, why not simply use an inexpensive media player (like the WDTV)? That eliminates the need to author/burn and saves time and lots of money.
    Quote Quote