VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. yes, i am not professional so i need workable advice how to rip DVD to usb drive.

i did find Pioneer with ripping to hard drive but usb are much smaller and can be taken anywhere.

thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. no, this link didnt help.

seems to do this properly i have to copy DVD first to hard drive and then move copy to usb drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can rip and convert directly from a dvd with dvdfab or run anydvd or dvd43 and then use whatever converter like handbrake.

dvd43 does not support newer dvd protections though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But how small is your usb drive?
    Quote Quote  
  6. usb drives are not a problem, they are up to 64 gigs

the problem is usb operate on Fat32 which limit file size to 4 gigs and movies are normally 6 gigs.

probably if i compress file first below 4 gig and then decompress it during watching or installition it will work but this is too complicated for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Compressing the "movie only" of the DVD to a single file is what you need to be learning or looking in to. Store bought DVDs need to be "decrypted" and ripped with software like DVDFab. DVDFab is pay software but it can do that for you in one step(converting movie only to a single "AVI" file). There are free options as well but that will require some serious reading and learning to a newbie.
    You need to tell us what you intend to play these DVDs or video files on...a laptop?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alexferdman View Post

the problem is usb operate on Fat32 which limit file size to 4 gigs and movies are normally 6 gigs.
    Usb can be ntfs as well,any reason the usb are fat32?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by alexferdman View Post

Usb can be ntfs as well,any reason the usb are fat32?
    I thought that also right away.

And if you ripped it to a video ts folder, it would not matter because the largest file/vob would be far under 4gb each anyways, (1gb) unless he want's it in one single file with no menu or in an ISO ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Quick answer. Rip the DVD to about 1.4GB AVI (per 2 hour movie) to your hard drive with something like Fair Use Wizard. Then transfer the 1.4GB file to USB. When ripping, use AnyDVD in the background if the DVD is encrypted.
    For slightly improved picture, instead of AVI you can try mp4 or mkv.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 20th Jun 2011 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Quick answer. Rip the DVD to about 1.4GB AVI (per 2 hour movie)
    That is not ripping, it is converting and does not preserve the menu or extra's into one playable file or folder.

Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    When ripping, use AnyDVD in the background if the DVD is encrypted.
    Or instead of paying a ton of $$ he could use dvdfab decrypter for free then use FU to convert, or if he wanted to still go the free way all the way he can use AGK, although i myself do prefer FU over anything else for making Xvid's.

Although i do think the OP need's to be more specific on what he want's to accomplish & end up with.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 23rd Jun 2011 at 00:38.
    Quote Quote  
  12. is anybody try ripping dvd to usb?
    the purpose is to carry bunch of movies to watch on computer.
    Quote Quote