VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI, everyone. I came across this website as I was doggedly searching for a way to put my wedding DVD on to a flash drive. The total space needed is 1.92GB.

I put together my own wedding DVD (made 2 years ago), so it's a legal copy belonging to me.

I cannot figure out how to get it to play off of a flash drive. I can copy to a flash drive, but it won't play as one complete video. You have to go back and forth starting each segment as a separate video.

I know nothing about this stuff - so I'm giving you all info I think you may need:

I made the movie using Corel Video Studio 12. That computer has since crashed and I no longer have those original files - which I know would make my life so much easier. I only have the final DVDs I made using Nero 9 to make copies. The files in the folder are:

Video_TS
    Video_TS
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3

How do I get it to play from a flash? You will be giving directions to someone who knows little about this, so I appreciate your help greatly.

I still have the Corel Video Studio 12 and Nero 9 which I use for making new movies and putting them on a flash drive to begin with. I need help with converting a actual DVD. Thank you sooo much!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Oh, and if a thread already exists for this, I'm sorry to have double posted. I surfed for about 15 minutes and found nothing that could help me. Please post the link for me. Thanks, again!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a good software player with dvd folder playback like VLC or MPC, select open folder and open the video_ts and it should work as a normal dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldricks suggestion will work just fine.

However if you want to actually CONVERT the file to another format thats a little more complicated.

Programs like super, format factory, and xvid4psp are quite capable of doing this.

I find it easier to use dvd shrink to make a single vob file after ripping the dvd - you can use no compression in the prefferences menu and de-select split vob into 1gb chunks - than you will get a single vob file with just the movie in it in a video_ts folder. Than you can load that single vob into any number of converters. ------ However many do read whole dvd folders I just like working with merged single vob files for simplicity sake.

You have any number of formats you can convert to - xvid, divx, windows media video, h264 etc. What you use depends on how small you need the file to be and whether or not you'll be playing it back on something other than a computer. If you are playing it back on a game console or dvd or bluray player they all have their own special requirements - to an extent - some do have cross platform compatibility but just because you make a divx or xvid file doesn't necessarily mean your playback unit will play it.

Let us know your intent for viewing if you do need a different format besides a ripped dvd folder.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i cannot include an executable (llike vlc / mpc) on this thymbdrive .. the dvd, UNprotected, legally copyable, has to run with media player on whetever machie my wife has access to .. in several locatoins .. as well as at home. since i can;t have an executable on the thubm dreive, how do i transfer/copy and have it avail to play? i set all email replies on to xxx@yyy.zzz ... tia
    Last edited by oscarbfrog; 19th Feb 2012 at 18:57. Reason: suggestion from a TRUE helper ... ThannkYou!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tryingcake View Post
    I cannot figure out how to get it to play off of a flash drive. I can copy to a flash drive, but it won't play as one complete video. You have to go back and forth starting each segment as a separate video.

The files in the folder are:

Video_TS
    Video_TS
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3
    All you need to do is concatenate them. From a command shell in Windows the command is

Code:
    copy /b VTS_01_0.VOB + VTS_01_1.VOB + VTS_01_2.VOB + VTS_01_3.VOB wedding.mpg
    in OS/X it would be

Code:
    cat VTS_01_0.VOB VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB VTS_01_3.VOB wedding.mpg
    Note that if VTS_01_0.VOB is only a short file containing a menu, leave it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oscarbfrog View Post
    i cannot include an executable (llike vlc / mpc) on this thymbdrive .. the dvd, UNprotected, legally copyable, has to run with media player on whetever machie my wife has access to .. in several locatoins .. as well as at home. since i can;t have an executable on the thubm dreive, how do i transfer/copy and have it avail to play? i set all email replies on to ... tia
    You waited over 6 months to say THAT??? And you had to create a new user account as well. Yeah, clearly this project was just incredibly important to you.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Feb 2012 at 02:19. Reason: email address removed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98;2140558 :: You waited over 6 months to say THAT??? And you had to create a new user account as well. Yeah, clearly this project was just incredibly important to you.

======>> methinks you erred by selecting the wroing user .. to wit: oscarbfrog Member Join Date: Feb 2012 Location: ppl;s republic of ann arbor ... 6 days perhaps ...

OH! ejolson ...thank you, thank you, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ======>> methinks you erred by selecting the wroing user .. to wit: oscarbfrog Member Join Date: Feb 2012 Location: ppl;s republic of ann arbor ... 6 days perhaps ...
    he did no such thing, it's obvious that both the OP account and this frog account belong to the same person, even a blind man could see that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oscarbfrog, it isn't wise post your email address in public forums. You may find yourself receiving a lot of extra spam instead of answers to your posts.

jman98, perhaps you will consider removing froggy's address from the quote as well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This is a bit of a silly post but an interesting question.
    Guessing he needs a wedding gallery to tote about for his business.
    This means hoping that whoever views it has the relevant codecs..
    The question should be 'how do I ensure the other person can play it on their computer?'

Simple answer: encapsulate the video WITH the codec AND a player.
    In other words, make it an executable.

http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=300151491

There is no other way other than including a portable-build player on the drive.

One way or another an .exe file (of some description) has to be present on the thumbdrive.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 20th Feb 2012 at 02:49.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    This is a bit of a silly post but an interesting question.
    Guessing he needs a wedding gallery to tote about for his business.
    This means hoping that whoever views it has the relevant codecs..
    The question should be 'how do I ensure the other person can play it on their computer?'

Simple answer: encapsulate the video WITH the codec AND a player.
    In other words, make it an executable.

http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=300151491

There is no other way without being able to include a portable-build player on the drive.

One way or another an .exe file (of some description) has to be present on the thumbdrive.
    Or use MakeinstantPlayer. It's free.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nice one. I didn't know of that! Thanks Baldrick.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i can;t have an executable on the thubm dreiv
    So it will fail...so oscarbfrong must reconvert to mpeg1. That works on ALL systems....but wont look that good though...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Nice to see the Brain in action.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Why does the OP not simple copy all the content of the DVD along with a portable version of VLC onto the flash drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oscarbfrog
    i cannot include an executable (llike vlc / mpc) on this thymbdrive .. the dvd, UNprotected, legally copyable, has to run with media player on whetever machie my wife has access to .. in several locatoins .. as well as at home. since i can;t have an executable on the thubm dreive, how do i transfer/copy and have it avail to play?
    Apparently, he can't include a player. Don't know why a portable player couldn't be used, indeed, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote