VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    NooB here. I have been having trouble getting the proper aspect ratio and resolution when capturing from JVC 40000U using CapDVHS and firewire.The data list defaults to 720 x 480 and 4:3. It does not matter if it is a tape or using pass-thru. The capture is the same. I don't know how to change these parameters and cannot find a solution. This is the only program I found that I can use and to capture without recording to tape first. I have it connected to my DirecTV H20 S-Video and to my firewire on computer. No Firewire on STB. The tapes I make look near HD quality, but when I transfer to Windows 7 PC, the image degrades and aspect ratio is not widescreen and squished. Is there a solution for changing these data parameters?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by ckp; 16th Jun 2011 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 720x480 is the usual frame size for standard definition NTSC video. The display aspect ratio is 4:3 even though the frame size aspect ratio is 3:2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. Can I change it? I have an HD set top box with an HD signal. The tapes display the correct format and quality on my HDTV when played via the JVC 40000.

Thanks
    Last edited by ckp; 16th Jun 2011 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 720x480 is what comes over the firewire. All CapVHS does it take what comes in and puts it in a file. You can change it by you will be resizing and reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    720x480 is what comes over the firewire. All CapVHS does it take what comes in and puts it in a file. You can change it by you will be resizing and reencoding.
    I have been reading on the forums of people capturing HD signals via Firewire with CapDVHS. Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to change my Firewire driver? Try to update my firmware (doubtful)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you are getting 720x480 that is what your JVC 40000U is putting out. You need to look for a setting in the deck that specifies HD output. Are these commercial or otherwise protected tapes? If so the deck is forced to downgrade HD to SD at the firewire port. The only way I know of to get HD caps in that case is to use a Hauppauge HD PVR and record the HD component output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you are getting 720x480 that is what your JVC 40000U is putting out. You need to look for a setting in the deck that specifies HD output. Are these commercial or otherwise protected tapes? If so the deck is forced to downgrade HD to SD at the firewire port. The only way I know of to get HD caps in that case is to use a Hauppauge HD PVR and record the HD component output.

These are tapes I recorded and it is also a direct stream to my pc via the JVC 40000U. There are many different channels and all are the same result. I am aware of the Hauppauge unit, but if I can get this working without spending $200, I'd like that much better. I'm going to recheck my settings again and see if I have missed something.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked my settings and all look like they should, I even changed it to upconvert 720P to 1080i. No change. I tried recording a D-Theater tape and it did not even record any info. I'm sure it's copy protected. I would already have a Hauppauge unit, but money is tight right now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank Hollywood for the down scaling.

By the way, when HD video is output over firewire it's MPEG encoded (more compressed), not DV encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    I have it connected to my DirecTV H20 S-Video and to my firewire on computer. No Firewire on STB. The tapes I make look near HD quality, but when I transfer to Windows 7 PC, the image degrades and aspect ratio is not widescreen and squished.
    Your problem lies there. Your claim of "near HD quality" when recording S-Video onto tapes seems dubious.

The people who record HD over firewire do so from cable boxes, not satellite, as the regulation currently "requires" the cablecos to enable firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=vaporeon800;2086638]
    Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    I have it connected to my DirecTV H20 S-Video and to my firewire on computer. No Firewire on STB. The tapes I make look near HD quality, but when I transfer to Windows 7 PC, the image degrades and aspect ratio is not widescreen and squished.
    Your problem lies there. Your claim of "near HD quality" when recording S-Video onto tapes seems dubious.

Well it's far better than I am getting from my firewire and the aspect ratio is correct. The quality is quite acceptable with the DVHS or even SVHS tapes I record even through the SVideo port. It looks pretty darn good.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it looks like I'm stuck with what I've got. I record Nascar and Formula 1 and take it to a friends and view. There isn't a DVHS player there. On the bright side, I can record 5 hours (I hope) to my RAID and put it on a flash drive, change the format on the HDTV and re-stretch it getting rid of the side bars also. It's not HD, but it's not horrible. Oh well. Thanks for all the input.
    Quote Quote  
  13. There is a tool that lets you set the display aspect ratio of DV AVI files without reencoding. I forget the name...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there one for MPEG files?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes. I think MPEG Streamclip can do it. If not, search a bit and a tool will turn up.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    THAT'S IT! It works extremely fast, I mean in just a couple to a few minutes. Thanks so much. I searched all the pertaining tools and this is the one that works the best in my opinion. No frills. This forum and people are great!
    Last edited by ckp; 17th Jun 2011 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file size limitation is a problem. It doesn't like my 5 hour MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Cut the file in half, fix each half, then paste them back together. Mpg2Cut2 is good for cutting and joining MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Can you run Component into the DVHS?

By using S-Video out of the DirecTV box you are starting out with SD resolution. You may sometimes get true 16:9 AR progressive video out of this, and also sometimes a cleaner picture than a regular SD channel. "Near-HD Quality" is possible. But it Can't be HD.

BUT, if you could input Component into the DVHR, you would have true HD at the recorder to stream to the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Can you run Component into the DVHS?

By using S-Video out of the DirecTV box you are starting out with SD resolution. You may sometimes get true 16:9 AR progressive video out of this, and also sometimes a cleaner picture than a regular SD channel. "Near-HD Quality" is possible. But it Can't be HD.

BUT, if you could input Component into the DVHR, you would have true HD at the recorder to stream to the PC.

It's not HD, but it's alot better than SD, near HD. There are only SVIDEO inputs and i.Link(Firewire) inputs. No firewire out of my DirecTV box. This is driving me fruit because I thought I had a decent solution with the DVDPatcher. MPG2Cut2 strips it to a ts stream and DVDPatcher won't recognize the files. I am recording in smaller chunks and going to see what I can do.
    So far, changing the format of the TV is the best option for restretching it.

On another note, while I'm searching tools, is there a sleek and quick MPEG4 encoder for MPEG2 files? It took 3 hours with Freemake to convert it on a 64 bit Win 7 quad core Athlon machine.(not my HTPC)
    Last edited by ckp; 18th Jun 2011 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find that if Mpg2Cut2 is saving it as TS it must be TS to begin with, not mpeg2.
    I find it saves saves mpeg2 source as .mpg

As a test I ran a 10GB mpeg2 file (ten hours) through DVDPatcher without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 5 Hour file is 26GB. It states it is a .mpg file. The clips I removed from it have a .TS extension. The other files a patched with DVDPatcher had a .mpg extension also, but were less than 10 GB. I must be doing something wrong here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So if I get this right, you are going S-Video from sat tuner to the DVHS JVC 40000U and Firewire to the PC and recording with CapDVHS.

S-Video is always SD and will normally be converted to 704x480 with 4:3 aspect flag. There is no "wide" flag for analog S-Video but it may be possible to configure your sat box to output in "wide" mode via S-Video. That would result in a horizontally compressed image when viewed as analog S-Video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SVideo-Wide_704x480.png
Views:	316
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	7457
    This is what wide 704x480 looks like horizontally squeezed. This was caped 720x480 off S-Video
    so shows 8 pixels blanking left and right.

The 4000U will still assume this is 4:3 for Firewire pass through unless it has a menu setting to ID the analog input as wide.

The format the 4000U outputs is MPeg2-TS at 704x480 for SD. CapDVHS seems to lack any menu to over-ride the aspect ratio flag coming in. It just recordes the MPeg2-TS stream to a TS file. CapDVHS allows you to choose a file extension (e.g. TS, mpg, M2T, etc.) but this in no way changes the video coding, only the file extension.

So, assuming the horizontally compressed image makes it to the TS file, you can now use a third party app to change the aspect ratio flag in the video header. There is no need to recode.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jun 2011 at 17:06.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This how the picture above displays when scaled to 16x9 (i.e flag changed to wide).

Click image for larger version

Name:	SVideo-16x9.png
Views:	141
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	7454
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jun 2011 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ProjectX will take a .TS file and convert to a .m2p (program stream) which might be acceptable to DVDPatcher.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to my next post
    Last edited by ckp; 18th Jun 2011 at 19:52. Reason: pictures too small
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize the pictures would be so small

Here's the original via VCR firewire to my PC, saved as original

The DVDPatcher screen

The patched file fills screen 720 x 480 says the software

The DVDPatcher when I try to change the aspect ratio of the 26GB file......."no sequenceheader found!".........
    Last edited by ckp; 18th Jun 2011 at 19:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you taking pictures with a camera?

Looks SD to me. I'd need to try DVDpatcher.

If S-Video, that is the limiting gate.

Can't tell from your shots if this is a simple 4:3 to 16:9 stretch (i.e. fat short people).
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jun 2011 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes on the camera and yes on the simple stretch, tall and skinny to normal size.
    Quote Quote