VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking. It looks about the same. I deleted the file from my portable hardrive and I'm recording another 5 hour
    video with the .ts extension to experiment with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    Ran the 26GB file through ProjectX in 16 minutes. 15 Minutes in DVDPatcher. Getting quicker.
    So what is the result?

That is all disk fetch. Updating metadata half second GOP by half second GOP.

If you were re-encoding Mpeg, it would be hours.
    I'm not sure what you are asking. It looks about the same. I deleted the file from my portable hardrive and I'm recording another 5 hour
    Result should be an MPeg2 file flagged 16:9. It should play as 16:9 (not as squeezed 4:3 pillar box) in a player.

The processing time is result of rewriting headers at 1/2 second GOP at a time. Limit is the read/write speed of your external drive. My guess is it would go twice as fast from a second internal hard drive or a fast external eSATA drive. CPU should not be busy.

Check CPU activity in task manager while processing to see if it is busy.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. It would probably help a lot to cut the recording time somewhat.

IIRC the S-Video source did not by default have the 16:9 flag from the source, I had to capture it that way. Had similar issues when trying other capture methods. Ended up just correcting on playback.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ran the 26GB file through ProjectX in 16 minutes. 15 Minutes in DVDPatcher. Getting quicker.
    So what is the result?

That is all disk fetch. Updating metadata half second GOP by half second GOP.

If you were re-encoding Mpeg, it would be hours.
    Result should be an MPeg2 file flagged 16:9. It should play as 16:9 (not as squeezed 4:3 pillar box) in a player.

The processing time is result of rewriting headers at 1/2 second GOP at a time. Limit is the read/write speed of your external drive. My guess is it would go twice as fast from a second internal hard drive or a fast external eSATA drive. CPU should not be busy.

Check CPU activity in task manager while processing to see if it is busy.
    I cannot get it to convert to 16:9 without running it through DVDPatcher. I have the aspect ratio output set in the ProjectX and it still comes out squished before a run through DVDPatcher.

You are right about the programs I'm using being hard drive sensitive. When using my desktop with a quad core Athlon, 1 SATA HD 7200RPM(partitioned),8 gigs of Ram and an ATI 4650 the processing time in the programs like ProjectX, DVDpatcher, MPEG2CUT2 and HDTVtoMPEG is SLOWER than my HTPC with a dual core Athlon, 2 gigs of Ram an ITX all in one motherboard with an SSD boot drive and a RAID 0 with 2-7200 RPM laptop drives. On a couple of the more heavyweight programs, the desktop is better with more CPU power helping, if I remember correctly.

Using my HTPC will save me some time in so much as I don't have to transfer the file to the portable drive and load it on the desktop. Those big files take forever it seems like.

Thanks for pointing out the hard drive perspective as this has helped me save probably a half hour or more in just file transfers, let alone the processing time.

I am going to try SUPER and see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the above, only a few bits in the header are being rewritten per GOP. It is mostly disk access delay.

It should go faster if you read from one drive and write to another.

My guess is Super will try to re-encode. That will be very slow.
    Last edited by edDV; 21st Jun 2011 at 22:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. USB 2.0 hard drives are limited to about 30 MB/s. Big internal SATA drives can sustain 80 to 120 MB/s or more these days.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the above, only a few bits in the header are being rewritten per GOP. It is mostly disk access delay.

It should go faster if you read from one drive and write to another.

My guess is Super will try to re-encode. That will be very slow.
    It is slow...........and keeps crashing. Ditch that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think PVAStrumento may do it in one whack, write the headers and stretch it. I deleted all my big files, so I am recording the ballgame and will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio becomes mismatched after a few minutes. Tried several settings. It does stretch it and write the headers and at a higher bitrate. The audio synch is a killer, though. Processor utilization on the dual core was over 50%. I'll stick with the method that works unless I get bored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The audio becomes mismatched after a few minutes. Tried several settings. It does stretch it and write the headers and at a higher bitrate. The audio synch is a killer, though. Processor utilization on the dual core was over 50%. I'll stick with the method that works unless I get bored.
    If you just change the header to wide, the player or TV will stretch it. There is no need to re-encode the video. If you don't re-encode, the audio won't unsync.
    Quote Quote