VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have a Popcorn Hour A-110 and I really don't like it. So I'm not really interested in the new version.

I started buying Blu Ray movies last year. But I've held off on buying a Blu Ray player because I planned pn buying a new media player. The problem is the only player (as far as I can tell) that plays Blu Ray isos with full menu support is the Dune player. And the price on that seems pretty ridiculous. Maybe I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and overpay for one.

But I was just wondering if there is a media player out there that will allow me to play Blu Ray .isos with full menu support. And surround sound. From a usb hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Oppo?
    http://www.oppodigital.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I did check out the site. But I'm looking for a media player like WDTV, etc.

Plus, the cheapest unit there was still more expensive than Dune and the most expensive was nearly 3 times the price. Totally out of my price range.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't also seen any other player then dune (like http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/01/19/review-dune-hd-smart-d1-media-player/ ) with blu-ray iso menu support.

Maybe you could build a cheaper HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Dune does not support menus for BR iso. It does for BR folders
    Least that's what the review baldrick linked to

BluRay ISO (main movie only) – played without issue (PASS)
    BluRay Folder(entire disc) – played movie with full menu support (PASS)
    DVD ISO and/or Folder Structure – played with full menus (PASS, also appears an issue with audio stuttering has been corrected)
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then does noting support bd iso menus?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hdx bd1
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Both the media payer chipset companys (sigma +realtek) are about too(sigma), or have(realtek) released new versions of their core chipsets. I have heard that new players based on these new more powerful chipsets are due out "real soon".
    Another rumor is that the sigma chipset will support java and flash which are both pre-requisites for blu ray menus.

This is all "about to be released" so YPYMYTC, YMMV etc. I am waiting to see what WD (and others) can come out with based on these Chipsets. If their not up to scratch then HTPC for me. Actually its probably HTPC for me anyway..
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On NeoTV550 BD ISO with menu navigation is supported http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Hardware-reviews/Netgear-NTV550-Review-page3.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    The Dune does not support menus for BR iso. It does for BR folders
    Not true. I have a Dune HD Base 3 and play BD ISOs which have menus. I have yet to find a way to play 5.1 audio through my audio unit via the TV, however.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PeterDuke View Post
    Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    The Dune does not support menus for BR iso. It does for BR folders
    Not true. I have a Dune HD Base 3 and play BD ISOs which have menus. I have yet to find a way to play 5.1 audio through my audio unit via the TV, however.
    Via the TV? Good luck with that. Most TVs will only pass through 2.0. You'd need to go to the audio unit first or split the video and audio to TV and 'audio unit'.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    My TV is connected to my sound system via optical cable. If I connect my video camera to a HDMI port on my TV, I can play surround sound through my sound system, thus proving that it can be done. I am taking the matter up with Dune support (wish me luck!).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dafoe:

I have read about MediaMatchBox player from Crystal Acoustics. It supports BD iso but I am unsure about the full menu support. Check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My TV is connected to my sound system via optical cable. If I connect my video camera to a HDMI port on my TV, I can play surround sound through my sound system, thus proving that it can be done. I am taking the matter up with Dune support (wish me luck!).
    Your camera can record and output 5.1 sound? Doubtful. I'm betting it's just your sound system using VSS while getting 2.0 stereo.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    Your camera can record and output 5.1 sound? Doubtful. I'm betting it's just your sound system using VSS while getting 2.0 stereo.
    A belated reply:

I got nowhere with Dune. They just told me to play around with cables, and didn't accept that it was a problem with their gear.

And yes, my camera can record in 5.1 audio (or stereo if preferred). (Sony HDR-XR520)

I even used my video editing program to create a test video with sound on each channel, one at a time, which I then downloaded to my camera and played back through my system, to verify that it was truly playing back in 5.1
    Quote Quote