VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone tell me how to go about creating a video image directly from a static light projector?
    http://www.optikinetics.co.uk/index.php
    http://www.optikinetics.co.uk/kinetics/effects/wheels.html

I want to create a high quality video of some of the colourwheels (especially those psycadellic oil wheels).
    Is there a better way than simply videoing the projected image as this seems to give poor quality way of doing things.
    Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated>

and/or does anyone know of a graphic type software that could recreate these type of effects along with Bubbles, stars, waves etc etc

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a flatbed scanner with a film adapter? Once you have a hires image you can do whatever you want with it in a video editor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo. But wouldnt this just give me a static image?
    And would I not just be scanning the wheel and not the moving image that the projector produces?
    The Oil wheels work with the heat of the projector lamp affecting the oils trapped in the wheel so that they move around and mix like a kalidascope or lavalamp never giving the same efect with subsequent turns. (I need about an hour of footage!)
    I couldnt focus the light from the projector on to the scaner could I?
    Dont they work by lighting the thing to be scanned from beneath?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use either a translucent screen to project onto, shooting from the other side, or better, use a Telecine Mirror box in combo with a Macro lens and shoot directly into the lens of the video camera. Shouldn't really be poor quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Compo View Post
    The Oil wheels work with the heat of the projector lamp affecting the oils trapped in the wheel so that they move around and mix like a kalidascope or lavalamp never giving the same efect with subsequent turns.
    Ah, the link you gave showed a bunch of wheels with fixed patterns so I thought they just rotated in front of the projector. But I see now that some of them are like lava lamps. A scanner wouldn't work for that. A film adapter for a scanner projects light through the film but it's not hot enough to heat the oil/water mix. And the scanner mechanism isn't fast enough to give you an animation. The only method I can think of is to project the pattern onto a screen and shoot it with a camera.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered a telecini transfer box. A proprer one with Super flat mirror and glass screen. Hard to find thgings!!!
    This I have been assured is the next best thing to a fully fledged Multiplex converter costing 000000's.
    Thanks for the help everyone and for the key words that helped me search for the answer!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Let us know how it works out. Others might be interested.
    Quote Quote