VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Grunberg
    I am in search of a reliable and versatile video editing software package.

I'm currently using MPEG Video Wizard. The two disadvantages I've found with this product are:
    1) During playback of edited video, there is occasional video frame skipping.
    2) When HD video files are saved, they are "taken out" of their HD resolution/format

I would like suggestions on a video editing software package that is more reliable -- definitely more stable -- and very flexible. I'm looking to cut & paste, have a wide variety of output formats at my disposal, and perhaps be able to include video effects, transitions, and titles/subtitles. Another important feature, of course, is one that doesn't encode the entire video after editing -- only encoding the frames that were edited (as MVW does).

Any solutions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas or Corel Videostudio. Both have trial versions so you lose nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Grunberg View Post

I'm currently using MPEG Video Wizard. The two disadvantages I've found with this product are:
    2) When HD video files are saved, they are "taken out" of their HD resolution/format

I would like suggestions on a video editing software package that is more reliable -- definitely more stable -- and very flexible. I'm looking to cut & paste, have a wide variety of output formats at my disposal, and perhaps be able to include video effects, transitions, and titles/subtitles. Another important feature, of course, is one that doesn't encode the entire video after editing -- only encoding the frames that were edited (as MVW does).

I have used MPEG Video Wizard DVD version 4.0.114 a few times for simple edits on HDTV captures and so far it has not changed the resolution and frame rate when I save the file as a .mpg. I don't add effects, but I can see how that might affect the resolution and frame rate, if its effects are only designed to be used for DVD output.

If that isn't what causes problems, I'm curious as to which version of MPEG Video Wizard DVD are you using now and what causes your video to be re-encoded as you describe.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jun 2011 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas does Smart Rendering. See the specs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap112.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	7324

Note that .MXF is a Sony optimized container with Mpeg2 inside. You don't HAVE to use this though. It's purpose is roughly equivalent to Apples AIC, in that it's Sony's version of an intermediary format.

You need a high power computer to edit H.264 in real time, and if you don't have that, you can convert to .MXF. You're gonna have to convert anyway.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Jun 2011 at 15:34.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Grunberg
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I have used MPEG Video Wizard DVD version 4.0.114 a few times for simple edits on HDTV captures and so far it has not changed the resolution and frame rate when I save the file as a .mpg. I don't add effects, but I can see how that might affect the resolution and frame rate, if its effects are only designed to be used for DVD output.

If that isn't what causes problems, I'm curious as to which version of MPEG Video Wizard DVD are you using now and what causes your video to be re-encoded as you describe.
    Actually, the reencoding isn't a problem. MPEG Video Wizard only reencodes edited frames as it should, which I was only stating because I want my next video editor to behave the same way.

As far as HD videos, when I save them, they don't seem to view the same on screen. The viewing size on the screen is smaller and the resolution seems to drop. It doesn't seem as though MPEG Video Wizard retains the HD format that well. What I mean is, when I play an HD video on my PC, it fits the entire screen nicely, but after coming out of MVW, it shrinks in dimensions (seemingly) and doesn't "look" HD anymore. What could I be doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MXF is not necessarily MPEG-2.

What software is used to watch the videos?
    Does it still have the MXF extension, or is it now using something else?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the reencoding isn't a problem. MPEG Video Wizard only reencodes edited frames as it should, which I was only stating because I want my next video editor to behave the same way.

As far as HD videos, when I save them, they don't seem to view the same on screen. The viewing size on the screen is smaller and the resolution seems to drop. It doesn't seem as though MPEG Video Wizard retains the HD format that well. What I mean is, when I play an HD video on my PC, it fits the entire screen nicely, but after coming out of MVW, it shrinks in dimensions (seemingly) and doesn't "look" HD anymore. What could I be doing wrong?
    The only way to lower the resolution would be to re-encode. The aspect ratio flags in the sequence header can be changed without re-encoding. Open one of your edited files with MediaInfo and do the same with the source for that one. See what is different.
    Quote Quote  
  8. TheNonja --PSN and Steam.
    Search Comp PM
    I think Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 is a nice program, I use it and it's perfect for simple stuff and also has a lot of other handy things built in. It's really easy and fast to edit a pro looking video. And don't listen to the negative comments on that page because it's they're fault, my computer runs everything in the program fine and it's not buggy at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 123erik View Post
    I think Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 is a nice program, I use it and it's perfect for simple stuff and also has a lot of other handy things built in. It's really easy and fast to edit a pro looking video. And don't listen to the negative comments on that page because it's they're fault, my computer runs everything in the program fine and it's not buggy at all.
    I'm sorry, but that's crap.
    PD has quite a few flaws, and it's payware that performs worse than quite a bit of freeware.
    It's not user error -- many of those are valid reviews.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MXF is the "Material Exchange Format" intended for cross platform exchange in a pro environment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Exchange_Format

It can contain many formats including MPeg2 (XDCAM), DV, DVDCPro (P2 cards), AVC-Intra, etc.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, you guys got me on that .MXF faux paw. I never dug into the custom settings, just chose the Sony .MXF and figured that was a hint. When they add "Sony..." to something, that usually means they tweaked it for you. You know, "Sony Style", hehehe.

Since the topic was about Smart Rendering, I don't know if those other formats can Smart Render, can they?

Funny how FCP seems to be the only NLE that DOESN'T support .MXF, and it's a pro container, and FCP is supposed to be pro, right?
    Last edited by budwzr; 22nd Jun 2011 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Since the topic was about Smart Rendering, I don't know if those other formats can Smart Render, can they?
    As one can imagine, Sony Vegas is highly tuned to support Sony consumer and pro camcorder formats. Smart rendering is supported for DV, IMX, HDV, XDCAM, XDCAM-HD, XDCAM-EX (MXF) and HDCAM.

I find if you make HD MPeg2 look close to XDCAM-EX MPeg2, you can get HD MPeg2 TS captures to smart render too.

The odd man out is arch rival Panasonic. You need to use plug-in (see Raylight) software to support DVCProHD P2 MXF. Not sure about AVC Intra. JVC used to be difficult but recent Pro JVC MPeg2 camcorders output formats very similar to XDCAM-EX.

Missing currently for smart render are consumer AVCHD and Sony's pro NXCAM variation. You can bet those will be supported in future versions. That would open the floodgate to all the Canon AVCHD cams.

Currently AVCHD must be fully re-encoded in Sony Vegas and most other edit software. Exception may be GV/Canopus Edius.
    Last edited by edDV; 22nd Jun 2011 at 19:57.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote