VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm a long time viewer but a first time poster here at VideoHelp.com. The issue I'm having is with h.264/AVC encoded 1080p MP4's and Xbox 360 playback. In order to get any playback, I had to demux and remux the videos with a 2-channel AAC-LC audio track instead of the 6 channel it came with. Now it plays on the Xbox 360 both via streaming and from a DVD, but in both cases there seems to be a flickering or screen tearing, especially when the camera is panning vertically.

I've tried it on multiple TVs, so I know it's not that. I have also tried it with 10+ 1080p MP4s and they all behave the same way. They look great, but when you see that screen tearing it's just frustrating.

The funny thing is, 720p MP4's don't have this issue for me!

I'm using Yamb to demux the original file, MEgui to transcode the audio, and then Yamb again to remux.

Per microsoft, I'm following the specs below. The only thing I noticed is that these videos have 23.976fps (24pfs), not 30 as mentioned below. Could that be the issue? Is there anything I should be doing differently? Should I try to re-encode the video at 30FPS or just re-encode to being with instead of a demux/remux?

Again, I do the exact same thing for 720p and 1080p videos, and only the 1080p have an issue.

What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?
    Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:
    File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
    Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
    Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to Level 4.1) profiles.
    Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps.
    Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
    Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 11 for more information.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I appreciate the thought, but this is a new Xbox 360 Slim- I just got it in December. All games in 1080p work fine. I'm assuming it's the way the console processes the codec or the way I am (technically not) encoding them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by abu-zed View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but screen tearing on PC's is often caused by the graphics card overheating and burning out.
    Really? No. Not even close. Screen tearing on PC [Or anything that can output a image, like consoles] is caused by the graphics card outputting a framerate higher then the monitor can display, please stop spreading this misinformed crap.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't listen to stupid spammers(spam signature links). abu-zed banned and deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=Crollo;2084844]
    Originally Posted by abu-zed View Post
    Screen tearing on PC [Or anything that can output a image, like consoles] is caused by the graphics card outputting a framerate higher then the monitor can display, please stop spreading this misinformed crap.
    This is definitely not the case. Maybe screen tearing isn't the best way to describe it. It's just like a flickering in a straight horizontal line. And if it was the case, it would do it for the 720p videos as well.

Does anyone have perfect 1080p MP4 playback via Xbox 360?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've gotten many 1080p videos to work fine, not entire movies but 1080p videos work fine, give me a couple minutes or so to upload a video for you to try.

This video plays perfectly on my 360, try it yourself and see if you get any different results.
    Last edited by Crollo; 9th Jun 2011 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks Crollo! I will let you know how it goes when I get home. By looking at the file properties, the only difference I see is that yours is at 30FPS and mine have been 24FPS. That might be the key difference!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Aha! Your video played perfectly for me, Crollo. I also had 4 other samples done by a friend of mine at 1080p and 30FPS, and they looked fine.

As a final test, I converted the frame rate of a 23.976 video to 29.97 at 1080p, and wouldn't you know it, it worked perfectly! However, there is a new issue, now the audio is out of sync because of the frame rate change lol. So now I have to work that out- just can't win I guess :-p.

Thanks again, Crollo!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Time out! The videos my friend supplied me with were NOT 29.97FPS, they were 23.976, just like my videos!

Something doesn't make sense, as the videos from you two play fine and mine flicker. I tried to re-encode a segment of one of my own videos in 23.976, and that worked fine too! For some reason, the 360 doesn't like the demux/remux from the original source. It's still very odd that 720p works fine and only my 1080p videos need to be re-encoded. Both are using the same codec.

I use a Linux OS and Windows OS, and in opening the 1080p videos in FFMpeg, I get this little tidbit that the 720p movies aren't doing: "Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 47.95 (20000000/417083) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)."

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote