VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My Canon Ixus 220HS produces MOV files. When I use R-click > Open With > Quicktime Player (Version 7.6.8 1675) I get very odd behaviour.

First, it gives this error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOV-QT-Error2048-1.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	7278

But after closing that, the file does open - but in a window sized 1936 x 1205 (larger than my 1920 x 1200) screen and also offset to position 130,130.

It also doesn't play automatically. So I have to drag to make its play button visible before I can play it.

The various options under the View menu (Half size, etc) all work OK.

The file plays fine in MPC, VLC and IrfanView. It plays sound only in WMP and BS Player.

A typical file is reported as follows in GSpot:

VIDEO
    Video Codec Type: avc1
    Video Codec Name: H.264
    Video Codec Status: Codec Status Undetermined
    Frame Count: 70
    Frame Width (pixels): 1920
    Frame Height (pixels): 1080
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 36420

AUDIO
    Audio Codec: sowt: 16-bit signed little-endian
    Audio Codec Status: Codec Status Undetermined
    Audio Sample Rate (Hz): 48000

When I used GSpot's MS A/V button I got
    "Render OK. The following combination of filters was used:
    .Src)-->>--(A)-->[Canon Mov File Parser Filter ]>--(B)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]"

In case it helps, here also is an extract from MediaInfo:

VIDEO
    Format: AVC
    Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile: Baseline@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC: No
    Format settings, ReFrames: 1 frame
    Frame rate mode: Constant
    Frame rate: 23.976 fps
    Color space: YUV
    Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
    Bit depth: 8 bits
    Scan type: Progressive

AUDIO
    ID: 2
    Format: PCM
    Format settings, Endianness: Little
    Format settings, Sign: Signed
    Codec ID: sowt
    Duration: 3s 211ms
    Bit rate mode: Constant
    Bit rate: 1 536 Kbps

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

(I'm unsure whether or not this is connected with the problem reported a while ago, that my thumbnails for these Canon MOV files are not showing up in XP folders.)

Edit: I've just found that I have a few other MOV files (Format: MPEG-4, Format profile: QuickTime, Codec ID: qt) that don't give that 'Error 2048' or the missing thumbnail issue, but all of them suffer from the bizarre window size/position (and no autoplay). So I assume that's a totally separate issue. I can split it into two threads if that's preferable?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Last edited by terrypin; 9th Jun 2011 at 05:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you could put a very short clip online somewhere (YouSendIt, WeTransfer, etc.), then we could see if the file behaves the same on our QuickTime Player to exclude your setup as a cause, as well as put it through some other diagnostic tools that possibly could help pinpoint the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A lot of people have problems with the latest QT players for Windows, especially if it's used as a plugin for other software. Maybe try rolling back an older version like 7.5.x , etc... or maybe it's an installation/corruption problem, you could try re-installing (preferably with an older version)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks both. Will upload small file first thing tomorrow.

Thursday 9 June 2011, 21:00

--
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here is an example (taken by accident, which is why it's only 5 MB).
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleCanon.MOV

Here's what my desktop looks like immediately after opening it with QT 7.6.8 (1675).

Click image for larger version

Name:	QT-Puzzle-1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	630.6 KB
ID:	7303

--
    Quote Quote  
  6. No one able to try this yet please?

--
    Terry, UK
    Quote Quote  
  7. Downloaded the file. No problems playing it here with MPCHC or VLC. Quicktime Players is one of the worst players under Windows. And Quicktime in general is messed up under Windows. Use another player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Agreed, QT is one of the worst players for many reasons, and not just on Windows

But it works for me QT Pro 7.6.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The clip played just fine at 1920x1080 on Mac OS X 10.5, but I suppose that doesn't mean much for your setup.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks guys. Still hope to hear from someone who tried it with QT on a PC, to see if that oversized initial window is unique to me or not.

--
    Quote Quote  
  11. My test was on windows QT Pro 7.6.5. Make sure the view options are set to normal size (ctrl+1)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    My test was on windows QT Pro 7.6.5. Make sure the view options are set to normal size (ctrl+1)
    So you don't get that 2048 error then?

I can set View to Normal only after it opens oversized. And then it still opens oversized the next time.

--
    Quote Quote  
  13. Correct, no errors, opens and plays as expected . I think your install is corrupted, or that version is buggy
    Quote Quote